Hard handle Bars VXR

My friend VXR with only 37 hrs have the steering bar pretty hard it movable but doesnt feel loose, the dealer says the cables have to be replace, we greased up all the end of the cables but still doesnt loosen up...

+1
    This happened on all my Yamaha's and after a while it just eventually went away. Idk if this has happened with others to but it happened on both our FZR's our VX Cruiser and even on my Ultra 250X.

+1
    Humm interesting. This happened to my friends 50 hour FZR. I doubt your cables went bad... but that is a possibility. Are the bars sticking in one spot? Can you hear any noise? I would grease everything relating to the handle bars/ steering. Make sure to grease the rod/ joint that attaches to the nozzle because in my experience, that is a key point where you steering can stick.

Not sure if this relates to you, but on my ski the rubber grommet that is on the steering rod before it goes into the hull under the pump got a tear in it after about 100 hours and I suspect that water could have got into my steering system there and caused it to get a sticky spot. (see pic below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	261100 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	261099

I ended up using Rescue Tape to patch it. Has worked well 10 hours later.

Hope that helps

Thanks a lot guys for the input, I do hear a noise like something rubbing I checked the joint with the nozzle in the back and greased it up it sounds like sandy when u move it I will check out the place where it enters the hull, is not as clear as the FZ hull but I am pretty sure I can get to it, he also has the rubber pieces covering the pack of the pump and didn't allow e to see too much...

As a side note, we service both skis today, My VXS and His VXR changed plugs, oil, filter and greased up the intermediate housings...Cant wait for the chilli weather goes away to hit the water again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbeVXS View Post
    Thanks a lot guys for the input, I do hear a noise like something rubbing I checked the joint with the nozzle in the back and greased it up it sounds like sandy when u move it I will check out the place where it enters the hull, is not as clear as the FZ hull but I am pretty sure I can get to it, he also has the rubber pieces covering the pack of the pump and didn't allow e to see too much...

As a side note, we service both skis today, My VXS and His VXR changed plugs, oil, filter and greased up the intermediate housings...Cant wait for the chilli weather goes away to hit the water again
    See if you can apply some marine grease to the steering rod itself (when fully extended). I think that can at least cross one thing off your list of potential culprits

Good advice in previous Posts. Do not overlook the fact that the steering cable may just need to be replaced! It is a relatively cheap part and worth the piece of mind if you cant fix the one you have. BTW, why did you replace the spark plugs at 37 hours? That sounds too soon. JB

Albe VXS, what turned out to be the solution to this problem? I currently have the exact same sticking/squeaking from my steering. About 50 hours.

Thread Information