+1

Container weighing ideas

Trying to tap into the amazing brains that some of you on this site have the benefit of owning.
    I am looking at making a furniture storage container. I am moving shortly and was amazed at how expensive it is for storage or for a shipping container etc. My container will have vents to stop damp/condensation and a power outlet to allow (for eg) a frezzer to be plugged in.

My Inlaws already have a company making portable buildings for accomodation so the basics are there (chassis etc).
    We use a trailer with jack system to transport them and put on site. With this system we are limited to 3 ton incl trailer but it is much cheaper than trucking them onsite. Above 3 ton we would need a hi-ab truck to transport which we would prefer not to do as it adds to the cost.

My question is: Does anyone see a simple, cheap way of telling the weight of the container as it gets loaded with furniture? It doesn't need to read the actual load, only tell me when it goes above say 2.4ton?
    I was thinking maybe leaf springs at the corners with a block in the middle, calibrated so that when the block touches the chassis i know the container is above 2.4ton?

Cheers
    Rob
    Last edited by GZA; 12-31-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Grammar!

+1
    Well if you could get hands on D.O.T. portable scales that could help? not real sure but just a thought

+1
    Cheers Zxspyderz, My thoughts are to try and keep it really cheap (eg no expensive scales) so if i end up making mulitple containers they would be fitted all the time.

+1
    The only way you could measure off of the leaf springs is to first know what the tare weight of the trailer is (obviously you do) then add exactly 2.4 tons of cargo with a dial indicator attached between the trailer chassis and the spring. This would give you an idea of spring travel before and after loading. You would know exactly the distance or sag of the spring with 2.4 tons or cargo loaded....

Only thing is you would have to know the weight of the cargo your putting on, so it kind of defeats the purpose.....

One thing you may want to consider is simply renting a set of portable scales , in the US you can rent them at various equipment rental outlets.

+1
    How about a 400 pound scale that you stand on as you load each piece and add it up at the end.

Thread Information