+1

97 GSX total stalling

Recently purchased a 97 GSX with issues where at full throttle or after a long time at mid range would suddenly cut off. Starts right back up. Has the carbs cleaned and the lines swapped out. Could be the fuel selector valve, maybe the fuel return line clogged in carbs it not rebuilt properly as done by an amateur or something else? Did a search, but no success. Any tricks to diagnose issue?Compression is 140 psi on both cylinders. Ski fired up after sitting 3 months, so not sure where to start.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    Recently purchased a 97 GSX with issues where at full throttle or after a long time at mid range would suddenly cut off. Starts right back up. Has the carbs cleaned and the lines swapped out. Could be the fuel selector valve, maybe the fuel return line clogged in carbs it not rebuilt properly as done by an amateur or something else? Did a search, but no success. Any tricks to diagnose issue?Compression is 140 psi on both cylinders. Ski fired up after sitting 3 months, so not sure where to start.
    I am wondering if the internal screens in the carbs were cleaned. Typically after changing the fuel lines I like to run the ski then pull the carbs again to make sure there is no debris from cutting the new lines clogging the screens. also. you may want to replace the main ground wire as this can have the same effect. check the positive cable to just for kicks at both ends. when you check these report back and if thats not it I have a few more ideas.

Sometimes if you don't replace everything when doing the fuel system I.E fuel selector switch,in line filter then line residue will stay gummed up in there and ur carve will get re clogged. Just my 2 cents

Check the vent system on the fuel tank,could starving the engine on fuel. Could also pull the spark plugs to confirm this,check the color of plugs.Also how much fuel in tank confirm your not running onto reserve. Remove the fuel selector valve and run directly from tank thru the reserve connection make sure you block of nof normal fuel supply line.
    Good luck

Thread Information