Brewmaster Mike

Video from the last ride of the season on Lake Erie

Great day on the Lake (October), with 15' waves. Back was sore for about 3 days after this. HD Video using Flip camera on my vest, let it buffer for a minute or it will be very jerky:

+1
    Looks pretty cold and my back is killing me just watching. Thanks for sharing.

Brewmaster Mike
    Yeah, full wet suit required that day, water temp was hovering right around 60F and the air temp was about the same. All in all, a great day, and no accidents like the previous year (totalled ski in 2010 in same conditions).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mmayer View Post
    Yeah, full wet suit required that day, water temp was hovering right around 60F and the air temp was about the same. All in all, a great day, and no accidents like the previous year (totalled ski in 2010 in same conditions).
    Did you hit a sand bar or something last year? If i was there I would of been in the water crash the hole time. Maybe broken something too.

Brewmaster Mike
    I was out with 2 other guys about a mile offshore, same conditions, but one of the guys was a rookie and was not watching what he was doing. I was sitting in the trough between two monstrous waves, and when I looked up, all I saw was the black bottom of his ski about 20' above me and coming down fast. I managed to bail off my ski just in time, and he landed flat on top of my ski, completely crushing my 3 month old FZS. Although I could still power the ski back to shore, it was a complete loss, and the other guys ski eventually had a hull failure as well. Lucky to be alive after that one.

+1
    Holly crap that would of piss me off. I hope you were insure. Glad you guys were OK. I don't think I be riding with him any more.

Brewmaster Mike
    Actually, didn't piss me off at all, we were all just very happy that nobody was killed or hurt.....the ski's are replaceable, and accidents happen. Insurance was a PIA, but they paid for the ski less my deductible. And because there were no more 2009's available, I split the difference of the higher cost of the new 2011 FZS with the owner of the other ski (still a good freind of mine). No harm done.....in fact the other guy in the video is the owner of the other ski involved. His buddy (the rookie) doesn't ride anymore......scared the shit out him so bad that he will never ride again.

+1
    I know what you mean about the big waves,been out on the south end of Lake Michigan many times when they were rolling,definatly a blast BUT Scary as what happened to you can happen very easily out there as you cannot see who or what is in between the waves..I have seen many close calls,thankfully thats all they were was close calls and nobody getting hurt...have fun and be safe out there, sometimes i wish i still had my tigershark for them big ol waves...

nice video, I hope to hit lake michigan this spring and summer, what do you wear for cold water riding?

Thread Information