Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

looking to get the right info on a gps .....

i believe that there must be alot of gps units out there for getting speed readingd on a pwc(in my case a red kawi ultra 250 and 98 gsxl ) in this forums opinion who makes the best one and the most accurate....and dont forget easy to use.......my girlfriend wants to get me a christmas gift...better late than never.....it seems that you all use these things in real life ....and know what's good and bad ......thanks for the imput.. all the best petros

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    I'm a big fan of the Garmin GPS MAP76 you can pick them up for around $200 and they have plenty of on land and on the water features.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Garmin GPS MAP76 you can pick them up for around $200 and they have plenty of on land and on the water features.
    I just bought a GPS MAP76csx about a month ago and I love it.

+1
    I've been using the garmin 3+ for years now. You can get them off ebay, and they have tons of features.

Honestly, your options are only limited by what you want. They pretty much all work rather well.

Garmin GPSMAP76C here. Really like it. Here is a site that has more info than you'll ever need on GPS http://www.gpsinformation.net/

+1
    If you are not interested in maps, the Garmin e-trex costs under $100 and has average speed, top speed, direction, distance covered, elevation, time of sunset/sunrise, way points, etc and is waterproof...but it doesn't float !! A great compact basic unit.

Richard

next question

are both the garmans(map76c / etrex) as accurate with the speeds. and can you by a mount for them?....do you need to mount them? i know that the stock speedo is a joke and the only thing that will tell me the constant truth is the tac......

+1
    If you buy an Etrex also buy a bushel of batteries. You will need them. The Etrex is also very slow to pick up satelites and can take up to 5 minutes (worst case) to lock in. Because they are priced so cheaply, you really can't go wrong. If you are just looking for speed functions, the Etrex will do the trick. As a map reference it is almost useless.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    If you buy an Etrex also buy a bushel of batteries. You will need them. The Etrex is also very slow to pick up satelites and can take up to 5 minutes (worst case) to lock in. Because they are priced so cheaply, you really can't go wrong. If you are just looking for speed functions, the Etrex will do the trick. As a map reference it is almost useless.
    The e-trex has an available adopter that lets it connect directly to the 12 V ski battery. They also have new high capacity 2500mAh rechargeable AA batteries that can be used over and over. It can mark waypoints and get you back to where you left from, but it doesn't have any "maps" built into it as do other models.

Richard

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    garmin etrex vista Cx....accurate, affordable, color, maps, does fine on batteries, takes all of 30sec-1min to get satilites....dunno about the othe etrex, but mine is great.....oh yeah micro SD slot. Comes with a 64mb card and a North Amer. basemap. (mines got a 1GBcard w/City Navigator AND Bluechart Americas ) Very accurate, as most, if not all of them are.

sean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information