Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

repairing hull / painting 98' gp1200

so i just got my gp1200 rebuil;t as some of you know from seeing my other threads. as i was out again today doing some testing i didnt hit the powerband in time to turn the ski and i ran into a rock. beat the f**k out of the bottom of my ski. im going to take advantage of the fact that im getting this fixed to repaint the whole ski top and ottom. now i need your help with some questions i have.

-what to use to repair the hull?
    -how much of ^^ would i need?
    -what primer to use for the bottom?
    -what paint to use for the bottom?
    -what paint and primer to use for the top?

I have a 97 hull thats not as bad as this one that I will be offering for free on here once I strip it of parts. If your just riding in rivers youll be ok with a repair but for wavejumping I wouldn't trust it.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    I would rip everything out of it first to do all that kind of work (glassing, painting). I would cut the fiberglass that is a bit sticking out so that its easy to work with. Sand it so it can be ready for glassing. Mix your resin, and apply good enough cloth strips on the area that is damaged. You will need at least a day to do just this. Once its filled, sand the repaired area down to the correct angle that it was before. After this prime, paint, and seal.

+1
    E bay item # 310175790096 epoxy resin which works good for mating (cloth or fiber) and can also be thinned and sprayed for a "gel coat". works very good; but if you use when colder then 70 - 75 add more harder or it takes forever to harden, I normaly add some fast cure hardner to help when its cold out.

Im kind of confused now. My original plan was to use fiberglass with resin since supposedly these older skis are fiberglass and not that other material that these new skis are made of. I also read that they are painted with regular paint and not gelcoat. I do plan on opening the hola larger with a cutting wheel on a grinder in order to make the work easier. It would be great if i could use fiberglass ass i get it for very cheap. I can also get gelcoat for very cheap as well

Just cut the small little fibers that are sticking out so its clean. Sand a little bit. Mix your resin (if it is cold yes, make sure to add more hardener) and lightly moisten the cloth with the resin and apply. Apply very little more resin and smooth out. You will have to do a few layers at a time and wait and continue again. Once you have filled the area and its dry, begin sanding to the favored shape. After that it's all paint from there.

My blaster hull had MANY spots that were gouged out and I took 3 full days filling, sanding, and smoothing. Now you can't even tell there was any damage at all, even how hard you look.

But i do this with fiberglass and fiberglass resin right??

Yes sir. Fiberglass resin, resin hardener, and fiberglass cloth.

+1
    Here's a link that may be helpfull; http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...Fiberglass.pdf

I like the epoxy system for the ease of using it to mat with and then thinning (the same product) to spray to cover the fiberglass hairs then block sand and paint or just buff. I know some prefer to use primmer (which is more money to spend) but to me it does not cover the hairs as good as gel coating.

okay so the gel coat will stick given that it will be over the original material of the ski and also the fiberglass that i will lay? i will also give the hull a hella good sanding before paint i want everything to be done the right way

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information