+1

'08 up v-band clamp options?

I switched over to an '08 midpipe/TDR box setup and realized I need one of the '08 up v-band clamps, the previous style will not work. It is $36 for OEM clamp ... are there other sources for this wider style v-band clamp for less money, or is OEM the only option?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I switched over to an '08 midpipe/TDR box setup and realized I need one of the '08 up v-band clamps, the previous style will not work. It is $36 for OEM clamp ... are there other sources for this wider style v-band clamp for less money, or is OEM the only option?
    Vern, its a pretty important piece IMO and for the quality of the thing $36 bucks does not seem to bad.

+1
    Any of the ones from Silicone Intakes won't be wide enough Vern. Haven't been able to find a substitute from the OEM yet.

+1
    Thanks guys, I realized that this one is very different from the typical ones available online ... much wider clamping surface, so I just ordered the OEM one. Its funny, I looked up the fiche and the wider 08+ clamp is $36 and the narrower non-X style clamp lists for $53!

+1

Minor waterbox mod too

One other thing I noticed when checking out my 08+ style TDR waterbox ... not sure if it makes any difference, but since it was winter, and I was wasting time in the barn anyway I did some work on the waterbox.

When I stuck my arm in the waterbox entrance and felt around where the exhaust exit is I noticed a good size lip. What Tony does (I think) is mark and cut a 2 3/4" hole in the top of the box, then cuts the 2 3/4" exit pipe at a 45+ degree angle and welds it on, which actually makes the exit pipe longer (not wider, just longer) due to the angle the pipe is cut at. There was a lip from the waterbox shell at the rear of the exit hole, approximately a one inch 'shelf' that I could easily fit my thumb on.

I used a few broken parts of hacksaw blade, tiny vise grips, and lots of elbow grease to eliminate the lip, making the exit hole fully open without the lip at the rear. Worth anything?? Unlikely, but I got rid of it because I was bored and had the time and could just barely fit my arm in and do the job.

I did fire it up for a couple seconds once it was all fitted up (not clamped yet) ... put a big smile on my face, sounded great!

+1
    I never checked mine,but now that its out also i will check and see if i have that lip in mine too...although i do have the 3 inch tubes so i dont know if he did the same thing or not..ill check and let you know...I will say you will love that setup once your out on the water,sounds bad ass..I am glad i converted over to the 08 setup also..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Any of the ones from Silicone Intakes won't be wide enough Vern. Haven't been able to find a substitute from the OEM yet.
    Thank you, Duke. Always learning something new here!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I never checked mine,but now that its out also i will check and see if i have that lip in mine too...although i do have the 3 inch tubes so i dont know if he did the same thing or not..ill check and let you know...I will say you will love that setup once your out on the water,sounds bad ass..I am glad i converted over to the 08 setup also..
    Another thing I noticed ... there is about an $800 difference between the J pipe price and the mid-pipe price (from BRP anyway). The mid-pipe is actually far simpler, no water-jacketing, and therefore far less expensive. The engineer that came up with that should have gotten a bonus ...

I also used a dremel and some other tools to clean up the lip in the entrance to the mid-pipe so it transitions cleanly, then also tapered the exit so that it is more of a bell shape, opening up gradually rather than staying 2 inch to the end.

Thread Information