Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200R Trim Tab Question

I am considering the replacement of the OEM trim tabs on a 2000 GP1200R with either Riva or R&D. Both have the backing supports that go inside of the hull. Can either just bolt onto the existing OEM supports or do I really need to rip out all of the foam, exhaust, and waterbox to put the supplied supports in?

Thanks!

Any feedback on this? I'd like to just use the existing 4 bolts.

+1
    You can literally use the same bolts and supports.

I have found through the years that my best all around set up is to put washers up to .100 thousandths between your stock trim tabs and the hull. This set up gives the greatest stability, and reduces porpoising. Most stainless washers that I use are about .030 thousandths thick. It is a very cheap and reliable upgrade.

If you want to try to increase overall top speed with your new set up, then you would focus on increasing your ride plate angle rather than moving your trim tabs.

Save your money on these, use your stockers and invest your money into a modified ride plate.

Thanks Salty! Doing alot of research on here I came to the same conclusion that the stock tabs are the way to go.

+1
    It really depends on what your looking for. If you want top speed, the stock ones are your best bet. Riva/r&d make the ski mich more rideable in chop and slop.

...the other good things about them is that they [i.e. riva tabs and plate] conform not only to the plate angle, but match the tail-end of the plate length. The Riva tabs are angled to actually trim you up too. The GP hull, being as 'short' as it is, along with most aftermarket plates being longer, help justify adding a longer tab which matches the plate length and effectively lengthens the ski. It also gives you a better response when you shim them since you've got more material to work with v. the shorter stock tabs (think boating here)... .

Tabs (and sponsons) are usually the last thing many rec riders do like myself, but they DO make a difference, particularly when you're making more power. But if you're on a budget, they're down on the priority list...
    (I did my tabs and sponsons last and I'm glad I did... .)

PS: The GP , in early 2000's, was competing against the longer STXR hull... .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    It really depends on what your looking for. If you want top speed, the stock ones are your best bet. Riva/r&d make the ski mich more rideable in chop and slop.
    +1 I'm running the Riva extended tabs with 1 washer under each bolt - the ski turns like no other and handles chop really well.

So what if I lost a few MPH - I VERY rarely have the opportunity to run WOT

Thanks Guys! Just completed the list of "bolt on" mods and the trim tabs were last on the list. As a rec rider, I'm fine with the handling, more looking for top end. The list of "bolt on" mods:

premix, carb rebuild/rejet, free flow exhaust, Riva FA, Boysen Reed Stuffers, WaveEater Clips/couplers, Pump Seal, RIVA plate and grate, R&D Nozzle, Solas 12-19

I want to get through this next season and then do the engine. Planning the engine mods now till then. Thinking about:
    Compression either through cutting the existing heads or going with aftermarket
    Top-end - rings/pistons
    Crank - T&W

I probably won't get into any porting.

I'm looking for a level of reliability - I would prefer to pull the engine only every couple of years - and on my schedule rather than because I HAVE to...

Again Thanks!

OOPS - That would be a 13/19 - Not a 12/19

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    +1 I'm running the Riva extended tabs with 1 washer under each bolt - the ski turns like no other and handles chop really well.

So what if I lost a few MPH - I VERY rarely have the opportunity to run WOT
    +1

I kept taking my stock trim tabs with me just incase the water was calm enough to make some WOT/balls to the wall runs.... never happend. So the shimmed Riva tabs have become a perminant attachent to my ski.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBGPRX2 View Post
    Thanks Guys! Just completed the list of "bolt on" mods and the trim tabs were last on the list. As a rec rider, I'm fine with the handling, more looking for top end. The list of "bolt on" mods:

premix, carb rebuild/rejet, free flow exhaust, Riva FA, Boysen Reed Stuffers, WaveEater Clips/couplers, Pump Seal, RIVA plate and grate, R&D Nozzle, Solas 12-19

I want to get through this next season and then do the engine. Planning the engine mods now till then. Thinking about:
    Compression either through cutting the existing heads or going with aftermarket
    Top-end - rings/pistons
    Crank - T&W

I probably won't get into any porting.

I'm looking for a level of reliability - I would prefer to pull the engine only every couple of years - and on my schedule rather than because I HAVE to...

Again Thanks!
    FYI - Porting will not sacrifice any reliability. Yes you loose some material, but not enough to make any change. It simply helps the air move through your motor = more horsepower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information