Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stuck at 45

Stuck at 45

I know there have been a few threads discussing surging but I have read those and now have a specific problem to diagnose with some unique facts. 2009 260X, 160 hrs, new motor, broken in by the book, at 6 hrs, FI code, limped in 17 miles at 25mph. Dealer replaced 1 coil, no more code, but ski now only goes 45, then starts to crap out. Possible mechanical connection--yesterday ski was just starting to surge a bit to 50, then flew off wave, ski came down with a thud, and ski immediately lost 5+ mph. Not a major impact by any means, but rest of ride was in calm water. Impact appeared to have immediate effect on performance, from 50 back down to 45. Battery connections are fine. No codes. Assume plugs and air trumpet ok. Ski sounds good on trailer, but down 20mph top end on water. When I turned ski off and then restarted, it seemed to have slightly improved performance, ie 48 - 50, for a short while before tapering back down to 45. Normally, a reliable 65 to 68 top end. Burned more fuel than usual. Intercooler just cleaned. Assume plugs and air trumpet ok. What else might it be?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    I know there have been a few threads discussing surging but I have read those and now have a specific problem to diagnose with some unique facts. 2009 260X, 160 hrs, new motor, broken in by the book, at 6 hrs, FI code, limped in 17 miles at 25mph. Dealer replaced 1 coil, no more code, but ski now only goes 45, then starts to crap out. Possible mechanical connection--yesterday ski was just starting to surge a bit to 50, then flew off wave, ski came down with a thud, and ski immediately lost 5+ mph. Not a major impact by any means, but rest of ride was in calm water. Impact appeared to have immediate effect on performance, from 50 back down to 45. Battery connections are fine. No codes. Assume plugs and air trumpet ok. Ski sounds good on trailer, but down 20mph top end on water. When I turned ski off and then restarted, it seemed to have slightly improved performance, ie 48 - 50, for a short while before tapering back down to 45. Normally, a reliable 65 to 68 top end. Burned more fuel than usual. Intercooler just cleaned. Assume plugs and air trumpet ok. What else might it be?
    can't assume plugs and trumpet are ok. Have you changed plugs and checked trumpet???

+1
    what rpms?

Banned User
    +1
    Sc is fucked. Is my guess

Could also be something stuck in the Pump, or some line wrapped up around the impellar shaft. 10 seconds and a flashlight can confirm or rule it out. JB

Will doublecheck some things tonight as suggested but some some more info for now: ski accelerated from stop pretty good until about 45 but then crapped out. I did not check max rpms. I know sounds crazy now but I almost always ride by seat of pants, dont rely on the instrument panel. IC had just been cleaned but similar symptoms to when its fouled. Ski ran great during 5 hr break in until 1 coil failed. This was my first ride after getting back from dealer and I knew something was off right away. SC belt ok. But, yes, I guess it could be SC itself. Got 3 seasons of use on OEM SC, 100% salt water which may be pushing natural life. Maybe dumb question, but how do I know for sure if running on 3 vs. 4 cylinders? Now I know what running on 2 feels like (when 1 coil failed), but not 3. Funny how the math could add up perfectly, 25 on 2, 45 on 3, 65 on 4, but I know its 2 cylinders per coil and only 2 coils. I thought maybe condensation in gas tank after 30 days sitting in garage in 35 to 45 temp, but went through more than 1 tank of fresh premium with no improvement. One bright spot was that, after weeks of doom and gloom, we got sunshine on New Years Day. Ski was hobbled but took it easy and still had marvelous day with friends.

Banned User
    +1
    Ski will run pretty slow on 3 plugs since u dropped one coil it's possible ur other are going out or bad plug wire. U can do as waz suggested that should help narrow down coil plug etc also if wire u will get a little zap when u grab it

+1
    i always ride by the seat of my pants but im always also fully aware of my gauges might be time to start and take notice before any other issues develop

Good point, the "seat of the pants" expression is a little silly in context of jet skiing! Tough to ride most any other way. Yeah, I should always know RPMs and boost pressure but I may need either the 2011 instrument panel or new contact lenses!

Plugs looked ok. But trumpet catty wampus as discussed in horn thread. If thats my problem, Ill be happy but should be busted to buck private. Unfortunately, cant get ski on water to test until weekend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information