Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FZR Rideplate corroding

Hello,

The ride plate on my fzr is corroding from sitting on my jet dock. Every two weeks I have to lightly sand it to keep it smooth. Is there anything I can apply to the plate and keep it smooth?

Thanks,

Lou

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Hello,

The ride plate on my fzr is corroding from sitting on my jet dock. Every two weeks I have to lightly sand it to keep it smooth. Is there anything I can apply to the plate and keep it smooth?

Thanks,

Lou

Lou, is the corrosion mostly white stuff/ pitting? The rideplate is aluminum so I would assume you aren't seeing a lot of rust.

I don't know if there is a full proof solution but I can personally say that my modded VX plate, which is sanded to a very very smooth finish, does not get the build up of the white corrosion my stock FZ plate did. You could sand your plate smooth and see if that helps.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Lou, is the corrosion mostly white stuff/ pitting? The rideplate is aluminum so I would assume you aren't seeing a lot of rust.

I don't know if there is a full proof solution but I can personally say that my modded VX plate, which is sanded to a very very smooth finish, does not get the build up of the white corrosion my stock FZ plate did. You could sand your plate smooth and see if that helps.

Hope that helps.
    It is the stock vx plate, not modded. There is no rust but the stock plate and vx plate get the white build up. My fx cruiser and rxp ride plates are totally shot. My concern with the vx plate is after some time will I be changing any angle of the plate. It is on fresh water and I use real thin sandpaper to get it off.

Lou

+1
    You can run a ground strap/wire from the plate to the pump to help with galvanic corrosion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    You can run a ground strap/wire from the plate to the pump to help with galvanic corrosion.
    That is a very neat idea.

Lou, are your skis hanging off your dock into the water? If that is the case than I would potentially look into a way to move them up the dock a bit.

+1
    I have always powder coated mine and it usually keeps the galvanic corrosion at bay and if you leave it in the water, the coating certainly makes it alot easier to clean. Just be careful as what solvents you use as alot of the harsher ones will dull and/or damage the power coat.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    That is a very neat idea.

Lou, are your skis hanging off your dock into the water? If that is the case than I would potentially look into a way to move them up the dock a bit.
    The ski isn't in the water, maybe a inch or two above it. I have it as far forward as possible but when the waves come in it always gets wet.

The ski isn't in the water, maybe a inch or two above it. I have it as far forward as possible but when the waves come in it always gets wet.
    The white powder is aluminum oxide and probably has nothing to do with galvanic action. Some grades of aluminum are more prone to oxidizing.

+1
    Do you have a battery charger plug while the ski is not used?

Quote Originally Posted by Olomana View Post
    Do you have a battery charger plug while the ski is not used?
    I'm not sure what you mean. I do not have a charger connected to the battery when I am not using it. I leave the battery cables connected.

Lou

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information