Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FZS/FZR or VXR?

FZS/FZR or VXR?

Looking for a new ski. I'm sure this has already been answered but new here and looking for help. Have had many Yamahas and currently own a Blaster (for sale) and a SEA Doo GTI. Wanting more speed/handling than the GTI and prefer Yamaha over Sea Doo. I love the FZS but the VXR seems fairly close. Not concerned with gas mileage but concerned about the reliability of a supercharge ski. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Rick

+1
    I don't know what your riding style is and what you expect out of the ski itself but after owning and riding alot of skies over the years, I honestly think you will like the ride of the FZ series over the VX series design. I have a buddy who bought a VXR this past year and while he likes it, he wishes he would of went with the FZR after riding mine. I have ridden his numerous times and it is night and day as far as rough water hookup and handling. Even on flat water, the VXR has a tendency to bounce and that annoys the hell out of me when the water is glass and the craft bounce like it is in a mild chop. I know you said mileage isn't important but the FZR has a larger tank and when comparing a stock VXR to a stock FZR, the FZR averages better mileage to the gallon under similar riding styles and water conditions. As far as the reliability of the supercharged ski. There is always going to be pros and cons with anything and about the only shortcoming is the clutch on the supercharged engine but then again alot will depend on what version clutch it is and how much work is done to the ski. If you run a 2011 and newer clutch and leave the engine fairly stock, I would imagine you can get some decent run time on the ski before having to worry about changing the clutch. I have 2 2009 FZR's and one has some work done and it torches a clutch every 20-30 hours or sometimes less if I ride it harder and I also have a bone stock FZR that is going into it's third season on the original stock clutch. Everyone has different riding styles and throttle control techniques and that will play a role as far as how well the clutch will hold up for you. They are relatively cheap though. You can score a brand new 2011 clutch for $347 plus shipping online and if you have to change one out every once in awhile, it definitely makes the supercharged engine much more appealing and really not too bad to operate and maintain.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    FZ all the way. BET!!!

Coming off the boats you currently have, either the VXR or the FZR/FZS will feel like a major upgrade. I have the VXR (VXS w/ a VXR seat now) and with 75 hours on it, in all kinds of water, I can say I have been impressed with the Ski. I do not get the bouncing effect that some talk about, or, I am able to mitigate it with throttle control and body english so I would not let that scare you away. In "VXR friendly water", stock for stock, there is no other Ski out there can match it's top speed; supercharged or otherwise. So if top speed in a super reliable platform is what you want, you can stop reading here, you have made a wise choice.

Really, the best choice is to have the VXR and "something else" too: Some other bigger, heavier Ski that will be better if the water comes up a bit, or if you like to ride two / three up for extended rides. Net Net: I can tell you the "fun factor" on the VXR is very high, and I have a few other Skis to chose from. But 98% of the time the VXR is my first choice when I am putting a Ski on my trailer.

I hope that helps. john.

Thanks for the input. It definately helps. Seems both would work well for me. Being an overall power/speed freek the FZ may be my ultimate choice. I may have a line on a new red 2010 FZR. Seems they have the older style clutch. Will the newer 2011 style bolt up or are there other considerations? Thanks again. Getting kind of excited. Also how much should they cost. Not many in here in California.

One more question. Does anyone make a heavy duty clutch to handle additional power?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Familycat View Post
    Thanks for the input. It definately helps. Seems both would work well for me. Being an overall power/speed freek the FZ may be my ultimate choice. I may have a line on a new red 2010 FZR. Seems they have the older style clutch. Will the newer 2011 style bolt up or are there other considerations? Thanks again. Getting kind of excited. Also how much should they cost. Not many in here in California.
    If you like to tinker with things and would like some more acceleration and speed in the future, the FZR will definitely be a better choice for bang for the buck modifications and I think it is also a better hull for handling the additional power and tracks nice at higher speeds. If you have a line a brand new 2010 FZR, it will depend on supply and demand and what things go for in your area but you should be able to score a new 2010 left over for around $10,500 give or take a little. I could of gotten one at my local dealer last year for 12,700 with a 2 place trailer so a season later and with the 12's hitting the floor soon, I would think you can get one a little cheaper than that. The new 2011 clutch is a direct replacement and will fit fine. I have a 2011 on my 09 and fits perfectly so no sweat there.

+1
    i'm with John Belton on this one, if your wanting a fast reliable maintenance free, no super charger clutch issues, the VXR/VXS is the way to go, i love my VXS, and will never have to worry about a sprag clutch blowing on my in the middle of a ride !!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Familycat View Post
    One more question. Does anyone make a heavy duty clutch to handle additional power?
    Both Riva and R&D offer products that are supposed to assist the clutch by absorbing the excess energies that the clutch has been absorbing primarily. The Riva/HKS setup uses a rubber dampner to absorb the energy while the R&D system utilizes pressure plates and is compared to a slipper clutch type design. The Riva unit is available now and the R&D unit is projected to be released at the end of the month. Both are fairly new and not too much in the way of reviews for the Riva design and not suprised as it will take some time before enough people have them and have used them long enough to give appropriated reviews. Same will hold true for the R&D design when that one is finally released.

Both can be alot of fun, and in rougher water, the heavier FX hull does smooth out the chop. If you are comfortable dealing with the issues inherent with the SC boats, it is a good choice.

The VXR/S is at its best in calm water. I have not had an issue with bounce in calm water, however it does require some body english to stay hooked up.

As far as fuel consumption, riding side by side with my buddies FZR at 50mph on long runs, the VXR uses about 2/3's the gas of the FZR. This has been shown on numerous 30-40mile runs in various water conditions.

I had 130+ hours on mine when we put it up for winter, no issues yet. Buddies FZR also has held up well, although he only has 40hrs on it so far. we both use 89octane marina gas (valvetech).

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information