Just bought a GP1300R...looking for ideas?

I'm new to the forums and I just bought a 2008 GP1300R and it is all stock with 50 hours on it. I still have a 2 year warranty from the previous owner too...I just wanted to get some input on the ski and find out what people thought about upgrading the steering nozzle and possibly an Intake grate?

I plan on keeping it mostly stock for now so I dont void my warranty...What are your thoughts?
    any help is appreciated!

A Riva or R&D intake grate would be the first mod I would do for safety. Pump seal kit, Ride Plate and Prop would be good first speed mods.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmgp View Post
    A Riva or R&D intake grate would be the first mod I would do for safety. Pump seal kit, Ride Plate and Prop would be good first speed mods.
    +1 but you should also think about reliability mods too. Do a search on those, i.e. pump tunnel reinforcement etc

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    +1 but you should also think about reliability mods too. Do a search on those, i.e. pump tunnel reinforcement etc
    Are there any other reliablility mods that I should address? I've looked into the tunnel reinforcement....

If you plan to reinforce the tunnel and make some power, go with the carbon fiber reinforcement. Much stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by jas1068 View Post
    Are there any other reliablility mods that I should address? I've looked into the tunnel reinforcement....
    Most of the reliability mods apply to the older model GPR's. You don't have power valves, so wave eaters aren't needed. And you don't have to worry about the oil lines falling off of carbs.

Aside from the pump tunnel reinforcement, you might want to look into replacing the thru hull hose. It might have been fixed on the 2008, but other models used a cheap, flexible hose. The drive shaft rubbed against it and caused a hole, flooding your hull.

And also replace the cat with a D-plate. This is extremely cheap insurance.

+1
    Getting the catylic converter out is really a must as they break up and clog your exhaust and leaving one in makes your exhaust run hotter....but I see your worried about warranty....speak to your local dealer having it taking out...if you took it out and later on had engine failure they would have to tie the removal and the failure together...I can't see how...maybe have them remove it for you to avoid any possible warranty issues....G/L

I read that indexing the plugs as well as J gapping them has helped with RPMs and makes the engine idle more smoothe....Has anyone had luck with these on the GPR?

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmgp View Post
    All these mods affect the GPR differently. You'll need to decide the direction you want your ski to go. Do you want a ski that launches out of the hole and is fast on a short course or do you want a screamer that is going for the sound barrier?

Also, the D-plate/chip is a no brainer. I'd even suggest getting an oil block off kit and making your gas premix so that you don't have to worry about oil pump failure and you always know the mixture going into the motor for safety! And when you have half the exhaust out to put in the D-plate, it'll give you additional room to reach the pump.

Thread Information