Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Sea Doo comparison - SPX Vs. XP Limited

I am interested in purchasing either a '98/'99 SPX or 2000-02 XP Limited. I'd like to know how they differ in performance / reliability and ride characteristics. I've heard the 951 can be more sensitive than the 787 Rotax motor. I also realize the SPX engine sits rearward while the XP's motor is placed very far forward. Thanks for any information on these two models.

+1
    completely different hull designs...Completely different ride characteristics.

Understood about hull design, but please explain the difference in ride characteristics. Thats what I'm trying get up to speed on.... Thanks

+1
    The spx is a outside lean in turns and is meant to be ridden in all positions. The XPL is a lean in turn and meant to be ridden in the seated position to take advantage of the hull design and shock in the seat

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    also the SPX rides on top of the water where the XPL rides in the water. you will notice that riding the SPX that it goes over the waves as to where the XPL will ride through them. I think that the SPX is faster too.

I have owned every hull that Sea Doo made except the LRV and 3D. All I can say is that you really need to ride both to see which you like best. All the previous comments are spot-on. Both skis are not stable, but in different ways. They are meant to be ridden hard. The SPX is more nimble, slides more, bounces more, more predictable at slower speeds like putzing around at the dock. The XPL is the opposite. It doesn't like slow situations, dives in front at slowing down at slower speeds, but slices through wakes and carves turns like nothing else. The SPX launches out of the water quicker, but the XPL will catch up and overtake it, especially in rough water.
    Last edited by Sea Dood; 01-08-2012 at 03:57 PM.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    all I can say is if you find a 99 SPX you better hold on to that ski. rarely for sale and the best of the X-4 hulls. it also looks the best too.

i like the xpl

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    I have owned every hull that Sea Doo made except the LRV and 3D. All I can say is that you really need to ride both to see which you like best. All the previous comments are spot-on. Both skis are not stable, but in different ways. They are meant to be ridden hard. The SPX is more nimble, slides more, bounces more, more predictable at slower speeds like putzing around at the dock. The XPL is the opposite. It doesn't like slow situations, dives in front at slowing down at slower speeds, but slices through wakes and carves turns like nothing else. The SPX launches out of the water quicker, but the XPL will catch up and overtake it, especially in rough water.
    SPOT ON !!!

the 98 spx is reportedly the lightest between the 98 and 99. 99 being the best looking is a matter of opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information