99 xlt pump removal

I am trying to remove the pump on my 99 xlt and it seems the driveshaft splines and intermediate shaft splines are stuck. I can pry pump from transom plate about one eighth of an inch and then pump will spring back. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdog57 View Post
    I am trying to remove the pump on my 99 xlt and it seems the driveshaft splines and intermediate shaft splines are stuck. I can pry pump from transom plate about one eighth of an inch and then pump will spring back. Any suggestions?
    how many hours are on it..salt use?....the splines are probably frozen together. heat works best....but you have to be carefull not to damage the intermediate housing seals.....

once you get it apart be sure to replace the rubber o rings in the intermediate shaft...you may have to replace more then that....but you wont know until you pull it down.

i had to replace everythingon my 99 from the coupler back...salt is brutal! my boat had about 130 hours on it when i did that.

you got a fun one on your hands. If your lucky and have a slide hammer with 10 pound weight with the adapter arms you could bolt the slide hammer to the pump with bolts and washer and hammer/ pull away. Otherwise you'll be working on it for a while. I had one on gpr where the couple rotted out and and corroded on the mid shaft and wouldn't release the drive shaft. Once apart clean and lube all parts. Do a forum search also, may have some other idea's out there

I had a guy tell me to clamp the coupler haves together and then try to pry pump loose. Has anyone done this? Any chance of damaging crank doing this? I dont want to have to pull engine if i dont have to.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdog57 View Post
    I had a guy tell me to clamp the coupler haves together and then try to pry pump loose. Has anyone done this? Any chance of damaging crank doing this? I dont want to have to pull engine if i dont have to.
    IF you do that... becareful with a hammer...the jolts from the hammer will get transfered to the crank bearings.

use a torch to put some heat on the intermediate shaft....then give it a few shots with the slide hammer....or clamp the coupler and evenly pull the pump.

+1
    I Bet You Have A Bolt Left In There. Where Exactly Are You Taking It Off From? If You Are Pulling The Impeller Housing Off Too Dont Forget The Little 10mm Head Bolt To The Very Left Of The Pump. At Least This Is What The Gpr's Have.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Nope, seized splines.

I was parting out a 99 XLL and had the same thing happen. Tried alot of different things including a sledge hammer. Wouldn't budge. 'ski was going to the dump anyhow, so I brought out the chain saw...cut the whole pump tunnel out! SMC is some tuff stuff.

Obviously you don't want to do the above, so follow the suggestions of heat and a slide hammer.

CHAIN SAW! I hope you video taped that! That could have been sued in some video clips....The Delaware Chain Saw Massacre!

Thread Information