Thread: SBT Engine?

SBT Engine?

I have two 2000 GP1200R s. One I have been adding mods to, the engine is stock and was rebuilt several years ago with all Yamaha OEM parts.

The other GP has a fairly new SBT engine in it that the wife drives. This is the second SBT engine I have had. I had one in an XLT I used to have. That engine lasted 5 years - About 150 hours.

My question is I hear of SBT doing stuff that many don't believe are best practices. Could I get some feedback on the things they do and what it would take to de-SBT an engine for when I need to go through that engine? Is it just the parts they use.

Thanks!

+1
    SBT just does it different than stock. It's the same case and head but they rebuild the crank with their parts. Also the cylinders have steel sleeves instead of the yamaha nikisal coated cylinders (In my opinion, the biggest difference). Once the cylinders are sleeved, they need to remain sleeved. SBT does their own gaskets that are reverse engieered from stock. Does not mean they are worse, again, just different than OEM.

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by richte18 View Post
    SBT just does it different than stock. It's the same case and head but they rebuild the crank with their parts. Also the cylinders have steel sleeves instead of the yamaha nikisal coated cylinders (In my opinion, the biggest difference). Once the cylinders are sleeved, they need to remain sleeved. SBT does their own gaskets that are reverse engieered from stock. Does not mean they are worse, again, just different than OEM.
    Sleeved cyl will run hotter. Also the SBT castings come out heavier than OEM. The gaskets are a paper gasket instead of the metal ones. I helped someone put an SBT polaris motor in last year, and 40 hrs later still no problems.. Just not as quick (IMO) as the origional motor.

+1
    Search, search, search my friend. Lots of info here regarding our experiences with SBT motors.
    I would venture to say that the general consensus is that an SBT motor is fine for a recreational ski.
    Let's equate them to Kia. They could use better pistons, gaskets, seals, etc. but they choose not to, thus keeping price down.
    Most here on the Hulk mod our skis, we want Porsches or Ferraris or hemi cudas. The better the part, the less one has to worry about failure. In addition, the faster you go the more severe the injuries when something seizes up or breaks.
    If a waverunner gets you from point A to point B, go with SBT.
    If you want a waverunner that makes your heart race, your eyes water, and sometimes takes your breath, than go another route.

Thread Information