Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need HELP to decide which ski

I am looking to buy a new 3 seater. My wife and I have been riding SEA-DOO's since 1992. Currently have 2 HX's. Looking for a fast and reliable ski that is not supercharged. I read all the posts on this great forum regarding Yamaha VXR and wondering if there are any updated reviews on the 2011 Yamaha VXR's and the 2011 SEA-DOO GTI SE 155? I like SEA-DOO yet I think i would get bored with the motor. Thought about the GTR but the SC long term reliability concerns me.

Will be riding in the bay and ocean.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    you shouldnt overlook the sea doo s/c models...you wont get tired of it and theyre reliable as long as you treat it well.

Honestly after taking my trainings on all the new sea doo models I really like the GTR. It is a Gti hull with a 215 engine in it. The 2011 gti's were an extremely fun ski in a 155, imagine with a 215!!! There superchargers aren't bad, usually the people who Have problems are the ones who get signs of the supercharger failing and ignore it. Every 100hrs they need rebuild. I would deff look into a supercharged model like the GTR, u won't be disappointed!!

i do like the gtr..one question...when a supercharger goes..does it just lose power or are you dead in the water..?

+1
    When the s/c goes u are done period. and might have a new motor alone with it just all depends

i was afraid of that...if one wants a fairly bulletproof pwc with some speed...it looks like you have to buy a VXR or a FX HO...why doesn't sea doo step it up with a N/A engine?

Because they have had succes with there supercharged models. The gti 155 is still a good ski!!! They do about 60mph which is pretty respectable for an n/a ski!!

+1
    If your looking for a fast 3 seater it need to be a 215 HP.
    I would not be worried about the reliability of the new 215 skis.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
    I am looking to buy a new 3 seater. My wife and I have been riding SEA-DOO's since 1992. Currently have 2 HX's. Looking for a fast and reliable ski that is not supercharged. I read all the posts on this great forum regarding Yamaha VXR and wondering if there are any updated reviews on the 2011 Yamaha VXR's and the 2011 SEA-DOO GTI SE 155? I like SEA-DOO yet I think i would get bored with the motor. Thought about the GTR but the SC long term reliability concerns me.

Will be riding in the bay and ocean.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

+1
    well... there are SIGNS... that say the s/c is about to go...
    you wont be getting 8000rpm... it takes more time to speed up from a dead start , or to even speed up from 40 to 70..

i have one, and dont have a working console/cluster and i KNOW by "feeling" the machine that its time for a rebuild...

also look into the rxt its somewhat more fun than the gtr (so i have heard)

just dont forget that dont get a machine for "later" and not "now"... who knows.. maybe kids will want to tag along..? get pulled in a tube/wakeboard behind the jetski...
    or even RIDE the jetski themselves (once they grow up haha) and they would probably want a more performing machine...
    plus i always like "knowing" i have the extra power "in case" of something...
    when you have a powerful machine, you dont have to use it to its fullest...
    but when you have a weaker machine... and you WANT more power... it wont be there....

hope i helped...

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    I am facing a similar dilemma; but will offer my 2 cents from what i've learned, so far.

I've been riding a GTIse (130hp) for 5 years, and can't get enough. It is reliable; crazy reliable.
    I am ready for a lil more though.
    (My dilemma is choosing which 'Doo: The wife says i can pick any one I want this year!! (I about fainted too!!))

So, my suggestion would be to look into the GTR. That I think, will be my choice.
    I like to take day-long cruises with the wife, stopping @ marinas along the way for fuel. So over-all fuel-range is still one of my major considerations, and has steered me towards the 215hp models, rater than the awesome 260hp models. With lower boost lvls, engine longevity should be improved as well. although preventative maint. schedules will go a long, LONG way in improving the overall longevity of the 260's; as it will with ANY high performance powerplant. Never-the-less, there will alawys be added maint. costs with the s/c, and as i have yet to truly experience this effect - I welcome it. I can NOT wait to have to go "awwwwwwwwwww maaannnnnn, I gotta rebuild the s/c" The new GTR (& I would assume the RXP/T) will have the 'eco mode' which is a economy mode to stretch the fuel when don't need full performance from your mill.
    I hope I have helped.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information