Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

which ski would be best?

Need HELP to decide which ski
    I am looking to buy a new 3 seater. My wife and I have been riding SEA-DOO's since 1992. Currently have 2 HX's. Looking for a fast and reliable ski that is not supercharged. I read all the posts on this great forum regarding Yamaha VXR and wondering if there are any updated reviews on the 2011 Yamaha VXR's and the 2011 SEA-DOO GTI SE 155? I like SEA-DOO yet I think i would get bored with the motor. Thought about the GTR but the SC long term reliability concerns me.

Will be riding in the bay and ocean.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
    Looking for a fast and reliable ski that is not supercharged.
    Will be riding in the bay and ocean.
    You won't find a faster NA ski than Yamaha's new VXR/S.
    Just make sure you test drive one in the chop to see if the ride suits you.
    The nice thing about the Sea-Doos is they have a great hull and an innovative closed loop cooling system to keep the salt water out of your engine. But overall I think you will find the Yamaha to be more durable. Again, test ride them and see which you prefer.

thanks for your advice...is it common for dealers to let you test ride...this will be ski numner 6 and i never test rode them...last new one was a 2000 xp....no days they are so big and different makes it hard on paper to decide...

+1
    Well, I've bought six of the 4 strokes so far and we test rode every one of them.
    I would never buy a $10,000 watercraft without test riding it before I decided.
    If the dealer won't set up a test ride find another dealer.

+1
    I agree the VXR may be a good choice, but you mention ocean riding so I would look into a FX HO. They have the n/a 1800cc engine and are great ocean skis. You can get them cheaper than the VXR.

VXR /S a good choice for NA Ski. For top speed accolades and economy performance it is the best choice. IMO, Take a hard look at the 2012 FX HO . . . it will be a great Ski with decent top speed and unquestioned reliability. JB

Kawasaki stxr hands down... Love the two strokes

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    I would have to go with John and say take a good look at the FXHO for bays and the ocean. The VX is a little light for the heavy chop on a long trip. I ride both for long cruises but rough water I take my FXHO. River runs and playing I take the VX. Either one is comfortable with two up riding, but the FXHO has more creature comforts and storage space.
    Chuck

thanks guys...will go to several boat shows (Pittsburgh, O.C Maryland and Baltimore, MD to see if a dealer will let me test ride in the spring. I agree with the FXHO ..i like the top speed, 0-30 time(suprising numbers based on its size and wt) and the N/A ....it would be a safer bet than the VXR for ocean riding...seems like the tweak the FXHO in 2012..worth the extra bucks or buy the leftover 2011...think they did soemthing to the hull..was the 2011 an issue?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
    thanks guys...will go to several boat shows (Pittsburgh, O.C Maryland and Baltimore, MD to see if a dealer will let me test ride in the spring. I agree with the FXHO ..i like the top speed, 0-30 time(suprising numbers based on its size and wt) and the N/A ....it would be a safer bet than the VXR for ocean riding...seems like the tweak the FXHO in 2012..worth the extra bucks or buy the leftover 2011...think they did soemthing to the hull..was the 2011 an issue?
    I dont think anyone has ridden the new 2012 FX HO yet, but I can tell you from my personal experience riding a 2010 FX HO it handles the chop pretty well. I bet you could find one left over for cheep with the new 2012 model line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information