+1

Pump damage-- impeller walker forward-- how likely damaged cases?

I am looking at a 2007 RXP 155 that was serviced by a local dealership that did an impeller change-- they pinched an o-ring and caused a leak in the pump. Over the next 10 hours pump bearings failed (lack of lube and water intrusion) and the impeller walked forward pushing on the drive shaft opening a gap between the stainless hat and carbon ring and flooded the engine compartment.

How likely is it that the there is case damage or crank damage from pushing on the crank shaft? Is there a way of checking this without taking the engine apart? The engine currently runs. I was thinking pulling the oil filter and looking for excessive metal shavings. Are there certain metals paticles to be found in the filter that indicate certain failures?

Any help out there???

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    "DANGER WILL ROBINSON!" The impeller was most like NOT to proper torque spec's and what it does when you snap the throttle or release the throttle from a high speed run it will "un-screw" itself and push the driveshaft as you desribed. Damaged? Most likely,To what degree? undetermined untill you tear it down. This happened to me after a SOLAS-R install. it backed off and pushed the shaft into the crank and ate the thrust washer halves and spun them also gouging the flippin cases losing oil pressure and the crank added a hole in the case/block side. it was ugly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    "DANGER WILL ROBINSON!" The impeller was most like NOT to proper torque spec's and what it does when you snap the throttle or release the throttle from a high speed run it will "un-screw" itself and push the driveshaft as you desribed. Damaged? Most likely,To what degree? undetermined untill you tear it down. This happened to me after a SOLAS-R install. it backed off and pushed the shaft into the crank and ate the thrust washer halves and spun them also gouging the flippin cases losing oil pressure and the crank added a hole in the case/block side. it was ugly.
    There were other reported instances of this exact thing happening too ... there is a pretty high risk of thrust washer damage when this occurs.

canadian iceman
    +1
    If you pull your oil filter out and check between the folds and see how much metal shavings in there...that will tell you a ton as to how much damage...i expect thrust washers in crank will need replacing....maybe not!...good luck!

+1
    the rubber end on the driveshaft inside the crank is supposed to be a cushion to prevent damage, might want to check that area first

Thread Information