Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good Deal- 1996 Seadoo GTX and XP ($1200)

Hey, I am looking to buy a jet ski or two and think I might have found a good deal. The owner says they haven't been run in two years but here is what comes with the deal:
    1996 Seadoo GTX(with title)
    1996 Seadoo XP(with title)
    1996 Double Trailer(with title)

I know it will take some work to get them running but I am hoping it wont cost to much? Anyway I'm only 17 with not to much in the bank so I don't have much room for a mistake thus help is greatly appreciated...
    Thanks

+1
    I have a '95 XP That runs strong & GREAT!!! If compression is good on both, then you have something to work with. Good compression usually means solid engine. Check everything for signs of neglect, rusting etc. If everything checks out then the price I'd go for it.

thanks for the quick reply brittrich! I think I may go for it but Im considering a 1996 seadoo gsx with trailer from dealer for $1000 in pristine condition..

+1
    id avoid that gsx....
    i have a 1997 gsx and a 96gtx i believe the 95 & 96 are the same. maybe different engine...

the ones i got were for 50$ for both.. with title.. the guy just wanted them off his lawn.. they didnt run for 2 years either...

ive been riding them... doing no maintenance what so ever... they run strong... although when i bought them i had to change the carbon seal on one..
    but very strong machines!

id avoid the gsx because its unstable..
    only for going fast, and not riding at idle or else you will flip it..
    its a great machine if not though... but one fall in march and had difficulty getting back on ... pretty strong current and my pants (fishing pants, up the shoulders and had icy water pour into them...
    im about 240pounds...
    unless you are 50-60kg and less.. id avoid it as you will always be "racing" and not be suited for "crusing" around...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    id avoid that gsx....
    i have a 1997 gsx and a 96gtx i believe the 95 & 96 are the same. maybe different engine...

the ones i got were for 50$ for both.. with title.. the guy just wanted them off his lawn.. they didnt run for 2 years either...

ive been riding them... doing no maintenance what so ever... they run strong... although when i bought them i had to change the carbon seal on one..
    but very strong machines!

id avoid the gsx because its unstable..
    only for going fast, and not riding at idle or else you will flip it..
    its a great machine if not though... but one fall in march and had difficulty getting back on ... pretty strong current and my pants (fishing pants, up the shoulders and had icy water pour into them...
    im about 240pounds...
    unless you are 50-60kg and less.. id avoid it as you will always be "racing" and not be suited for "crusing" around...
    Why would you do that? There are cases where people standing at the side of the water fall in and get these pants filled up and drown, let alone riding a jetski with them on...

You should just keep looking I was never impressed with the earlier seadoo line up

Thanks for the input. I think I

Will just keep looking for a late 90's yamaha as they seem to be the easiest to work on

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzaga33 View Post
    Will just keep looking for a late 90's yamaha as they seem to be the easiest to work on
    Have you ever worked on late 90's yamahas? I would rather work on a Seadoo. If that deal popped up here in Oregon, I would jump on them. They both have the 787 engine - one of the most reliable engines made. The GTX is the flagship three seater, and the XP the flagship two seater. The 96 XP is arguably the best watercraft made, and is still competatively raced this day. In the least, you could buy them, hold onto them for a few months, and at least double your money.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    Why would you do that? There are cases where people standing at the side of the water fall in and get these pants filled up and drown, let alone riding a jetski with them on...
    i understand... luckily i was in a PFD
    but i wasnt "expecting" to fall... i wore them because i had no way what so ever of getting ON the jetski without getting IN the water...

so i got it down the trailer... (about 1 foot 1/2 of water) , pushed it to the dock (near 2 feet of water there..), tied it up, went on the dock (by leaving from the ramp)
    and sat down on the ski to ride...

i wore the high pants, while my dad wore the "leg" pants those boots that go all the way the leg goes...

had fun riding... for maybe 30-40 minutes... WOT runs.. and such... (no mirrors on the gsx btw) i look around, BAM big wakeboat, probably with the balasts. passes me (why was he even so close to shore... i was near an island, (6-7feet water) and AFTER the island theres 12 or so feet... (island is about 100 feet from shore, but many rocks in our bay)
    i wasnt going fast but he left me with no choice... either let go of the gas, or crash into bushes 3 seconds later (not to mention rocks are also in those bushes)
    so i let off the gas, and he decides its fun to turn AWAY from me and give his boat some gas... had 2 huge wakes going my way, cant go forward, gsx doesnt have reverse... i managed to keep balance for some time, but when his 2nd wake hit me (plus the "jet" from his boat) i feel... (flipped ski)

frantically swimming 5 minutes later im near my seadoo (it was running without the dess key... but worked PERFECTLY every time on land.. )
    flip it over... try to get on... its flooded. stranded in the middle of the lake.. dad "rescues" me by tagging along with the gtx and we ride 2-up.. pulling the gsx...

although the pants were DRY for the most part after my fall (surprising) it wasnt until i tried to swim somewhere when they began to fill up with water...

as for yamahas... well... a friend of mine LOVES THEM.. but they sure are a bummer to fix sometimes... but he overall loves them more than seadoos..
    and he has a stand-up jetski aswell... (had a kawi stand up and hated it)
    dont know his reasoning though...
    oh and the 787 IS an easy motor to work on...
    the ski looks EMPTY in things inside of it compared to my rxp...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information