Thread: GP1200R Rebuild

GP1200R Rebuild

Just about ready to tackle a rebuild myself and have a couple of clarification questions. I have reviewed the rebuild "how to" and found excellent information, just not clear on the following questions. Want this to be successful!
    1. On the rear crankshaft bearing, there is one ring that goes into the case groove and a pin that fits into the slot on the top half of the case. Where should the gap/opening on the ring on the rear bearing be positioned for proper installation?

2. Where should the ring gap/opening be in relation to the piston for the top and bottom piston rings?

Thanks for your help.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by llewis33 View Post
    Just about ready to tackle a rebuild myself and have a couple of clarification questions. I have reviewed the rebuild "how to" and found excellent information, just not clear on the following questions. Want this to be successful!
    1. On the rear crankshaft bearing, there is one ring that goes into the case groove and a pin that fits into the slot on the top half of the case. Where should the gap/opening on the ring on the rear bearing be positioned for proper installation?

2. Where should the ring gap/opening be in relation to the piston for the top and bottom piston rings?

Thanks for your help.
    The snap ring on the bearing is only there to hold the bearing in place, The gap is there to get a snap ring pliers so you can remove and install the snap ring the gap does not matter were it's at.
    There is a pin in the ring grove on the piston that's were the ring gap belongs.

Need a little more help. Decided to go with a used engine. Located a nice 2001 Gp1200R with 30 hours...hull damage. Can I use my stator cover, flywheel, and assembly from my 2000 Gp1200R engine? The part numbers are different for the o-ring for a 2000 and 2001. The engine will not arrive till Wed, so I can't check it out yet.

Thanks

+1
    Everything the same. Just unbolt the engine and swap the block with stator cover and all.

+1
    Sorry, wrote a reply but noticed Jim had already covered it. Good luck!

Thread Information