Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 gp1200 runs then died whilst running killed battery volt warning on dash

hey guys i just purchased a gp1200 took it out for a run yesterday to find that the speedo and so forth only works when the ski is running then after that the battery died the gauge was flashing the volt light and warning signal when on as well. We were able to jump start it so we continued to use it staying close by and jump starting it once it was parked up for a while and we did not use the gauges. i went for a strap down the river later on and on my way back i was using the gauges well down and back but out of no where it lost power i backed off and then back on and it just died the battery was dead flat all i got was the solenoid click which the solenoid and starter are both brand new. Tried starting the ski with a battery pack it and it started and died a couple of times before draining the jumper pack. i then 4x4 down the river side where i got it on the trailer and home. Today i pored some fuel into carbys jump started it and it ran perfect i left the battery on the dead one for a fair time with speedo off. can any one please help me with what my problem is i think it could be the charging coil and the speedo just draining the battery dead flat and then because it was so flat the was no power for the ski to keep running it was that flat so just died. any ideas or help would be great as this is my first ski and basically learning everything from scratch i actually use this forum to be able to fix my starter solenoid and starter motor.

+1
    Try replacing your rectifier

ok cheers will find out what that is and so forth

Sounds to me like u just have a stuffed battery with maybe a dropped cell or the like. I'd start with a new battery, mine did a similar thing when I bought it because the old owner let it go flat al the time and never had it on trickle charger..

hey bud i have a trickle charger and ita a brand new battery im taking the ski out tomorrow and taking 2 battery's and not going to use the dash and see how it goes

good luck.. hopefully u have no dramas!!

oh, and the dash only comes on on the gp1200's once the motor is running and stays on for 30sec's once its shut off. (i noticed u said somthing about this in ur first post and wasnt sure if u knew)

ok well my dash wont turn on unless i hit mode and enter the code and turns off with the ski

Hmm.. Can u see if any of the wiring has been messed with? Eg: where the plugs are between th motor and fuel tank and also under the front hatch as well, sounds like some ones maybe had trouble at some stage with the code and wired it so the motor will start with out the code, but the dash still does what it's ment to? But for it to ask for the code every time the dash must be loosing power when u turn the ski off.. Hmm tricky!!

Quote Originally Posted by moo_r32 View Post
    Hmm.. Can u see if any of the wiring has been messed with? Eg: where the plugs are between th motor and fuel tank and also under the front hatch as well, sounds like some ones maybe had trouble at some stage with the code and wired it so the motor will start with out the code, but the dash still does what it's ment to? But for it to ask for the code every time the dash must be loosing power when u turn the ski off.. Hmm tricky!!
    You are correct th person my mate bought the ski off fiddled with the wiring so he could do exactly what you said and gas fiddled with a few other parts I would like to pull all wiring out and get a new loom but I'm not game to do that with my luck it would never run again but would like to get it back to its original condition if possible. I took it out for a full day no dash running battery was perfect the whole time I broke the oil pump bracket from then on the ski became hard to start would just turn over allot before firing I'm guessing it was over oiling the engine creating the difficulty to start

iv had my motor out 3 time now.. at first look it looks complicated, but once u break down the diferant parts and understand what they do its realy simple! i dont reccon the guy would have needed to mess with any of the ignition or "engine/startermotor/stator loom.. id say it would have been all the body/dash loom which is easy as it all un-plugs and is quite simple realy.. would take u half hour to take out if needed and couldnt be that hard to fgure out what he has chopped and spliced.. ud just need to re-match up colours basicly!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information