GP1200R Runs but wont move!!!

So my 2002 GP1200r runs fine but in the water it goes no where.. What is wrong with my jet ski please help!!!

More info would help (did it move before, did it make a strange sound then stop, have you checked anything, has it been repaired etc.). I'd check that the impeller is turning when the engine is running as the splines in the intermediate shaft or on the driveshaft can strip, especially in salt water environments, or if the shaft isn't regularly lubricated. Sometimes this will show up with the ski moving slowly on tickover, then losing all drive when the engine is revved up (a bit like a slipping clutch in a car). Is there a major blockage in the intake area under the ski stopping water being drawn into the pump? Large plastic bags and other debri can get stuck in there. A bit more info, and you'll get even more help and info from the G/H membrs. Cheers, Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by samtomo View Post
    So my 2002 GP1200r runs fine but in the water it goes no where.. What is wrong with my jet ski please help!!!

I remember reading a thread about this same issue recently. I'll see if I can find it... Maybe your symptoms will be the same.

Definitely check the pump and grate. Ski this old probably needs some new bearings in the pump. More info would help and maybe some pics upon disassembly.

I found the thread. Take a look at it. It's likely that your problem is very similar.

If the splines are shot, you're going to have to replace the intermediate and drive shaft. I believe the '02 is the only GPR that uses the 28" drive shaft... Double check that though.

And while everything is apart, replace the thru hull hose and take a look at the pump stator for cavitation burn. If you want to check the wear ring and impeller, that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

+1
    You have an immediate loss of forward motion when you loose the intermediate shaft. You are moving ok one minute, the next minute, plenty of engine rev, but no forward motion.

A loss of a wear ring is normally occuring over a period of time.... sometimes as long as years.

While reving your engine out of the water you should shine a flashlight into the thrust nozzle outlet to see if the impeller revolutions seem to match the rpms of the engine. If the impeller only turns slowly or does not seem to match the engine revs, you have more than likely lost the intermediate shaft.

Thread Information