Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 questions on new purchase of 2003 FX140...Oil and decals

Just picked this machine up yesterday...

When I checked the oil on a level surface today with the engine cold the dipstick shows that the level is at the exact "Full" mark. From what I have read I think the level is too high for a cold engine. The owner's manual says the engine must be at operating temperature for a correct reading.
    I also noticed that when I removed the air filter that there is oil pretty much dripping off in some areas and there appears to be some coating of oil on the engine below. The previous owner says she always had the oil changed at the dealership. Should I be concerned?

2nd Question. I am removing the old boat numbers off the hull so that I can re-number the boat when I register it. It looks like there were 2 or 3 sets of numbers as I am running into a few layers. My problem is that the lower layer is a pain to remove and I was wondering if anyone had a trick to removing the numbers and adhesive without damaging the paint?

Thanks in advance
    Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	261614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	261615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	261616  

+1
    Not sure about the oil issue, but for the decals try using some heat (such as a hair dryer) and WD-40. It has worked for me many times.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Your manual is what to go by. The oil in your machine is too high causing the filters to be soaked. Check oil when your engine is warmed up. Pretty common mistake on these models.
    Yep,,,hair dryer works great. GooGone at your local W-mart will get the sticker residue if the WD40 does not.

Quote Originally Posted by maxadrenaline View Post
    Your manual is what to go by. The oil in your machine is too high causing the filters to be soaked. Check oil when your engine is warmed up. Pretty common mistake on these models.
    Yep,,,hair dryer works great. GooGone at your local W-mart will get the sticker residue if the WD40 does not.
    Thanks....What should I do? Do I need to clean the filter with gas or some other solvent to get the oil out of it?....
    Secondly, should I drain the oil level down to the "Low" mark on the dipstick?...

+1
    If you still haver a tough time, get a 3M Stripe-Off Wheel.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beRJ5GMFSMV0gl

I had a damn tough time getting some old decals off my trailer and this thing worked really, really well. I tried it on an old registration sticker I had on my machine and it took it off with very little effort and zero damage to the paint.

It's kinda like a big eraser. As it spins it heats up the decal then grabs it with the rubber compound.

I totally messed up the gel coat on my last ski scrapping the numbers off, even with a heat gun. I think I might of over heated the gel coat, then when I was scrapping I dug into the now soft gel coat.

Anyway, this wheel is money well spent.

I couldn't find them locally. Had to go on eBay. It was like $25 shipped.

+1
    Cheap way is to clean the filter. Best way is to buy a new one. Drain oil to below low mark and start over is safe way to get it right.
    Hair dryer has been removing stickers for over 25 years I have been fooling with these PWC. Goo Gone is a commercial sticker glue removal solvent. Does not harm paint. About $5 bucks a bottle at W-mart or automotive store.
    Chuck

+1
    I have a 2007 FX HO and I'm not sure if the oil system is the same as your ski, but I know when the ski is sitting, no oil appears on the dipstick. However, if you shine a flashlight into the oil fill hole, you can see oil down there with the engine off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpwc View Post
    Thanks....What should I do? Do I need to clean the filter with gas or some other solvent to get the oil out of it?.... Secondly, should I drain the oil level down to the "Low" mark on the dipstick?...
    Greg, Yamaha makes very restrictive air filters. We had two of the 2003 FX-140's and in my experience that filter always clogged up with oil. I was very careful with checking the oil level per the operator's manual and the filter still kept clogging up and robbing performance. I replaced them with new OEM filters on both units, had the dealer change the oil to proper spec and within a few months they were both clogged again. At that point, we got rid of the OEM filters; we replaced them with the Riva Velocity Stack Kit with the RIVA FX Power Filter RY1325 and never had a problem again, also gained about 3 mph as I recall. Here are some links:

RIVA FX Power Filter Flame Arrestor
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=165
    Velocity Stack Kit
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=166

Quote Originally Posted by maxadrenaline View Post
    Cheap way is to clean the filter. Best way is to buy a new one. Drain oil to below low mark and start over is safe way to get it right.
    Hair dryer has been removing stickers for over 25 years I have been fooling with these PWC. Goo Gone is a commercial sticker glue removal solvent. Does not harm paint. About $5 bucks a bottle at W-mart or automotive store.
    Chuck
    I have never changed the oil or drained the oil on this type of engine. I assume that I will need to pump the oil out of the reservoir?....Anyone have a good link to where I can find a pump for this?.... I need to order the service manual soon

+1
    Personally I like the Riva filter like YoYamma said. An awesome filter and you may gain some rpms.
    You can get an oil removal siphon from the GH store right here on the forum or a marine supply store like West Marine. A small tube goes into the dipstick tube and the vacuum siphons the oil out. You will not get ALL of the oil out of the engine but enough to call it an oil change. Not sure on the exact amount for your engine but pay attention to how much oil you get out so you will not overfill it when you put fresh oil in.
    Also you can get the oil filter from the GH store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information