Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polaris virage Tx 01 Problems....

Heys guys New to jet skiing and to the forum So bare with me .

Guys i bought my ski a couple of months ago so i had it serviced by the local guy here and my compression came back 110 116 125 so for starters i have a compression issue ,the guys told me to run 98 octane in it and just see how it went . Now for 2 months riding every week its gone beautifully reving to 6800 rpm and doing nearlly 60 mph on the clock (weather this is right or not thats what it said) lol . Thats when my trouble started ,i had it out one day and the oil light came on , i was carrying oil with me so i topped it up and off i went but shortly after i lost some rpm it would only go to about 4800 and dropped to less than 40 mph . the engine still sounded good but just wouldnt rev out . so i took it out of the water and while flushing checked to see if it would rev higher and it did ! going up to near the 68 mark again . Any way i get up the next day try and start it and the thing wont start ,so i put more plugs in it and off it went again . so i take it out and still only reaches 4800 i bring it back and then it wont start again , my battery level is showing around 11v on the metre .
    Now is my lack of power all of a sudden due to my original compression problem and do i finally need a rebuild ???or is there some engine managment thing my engine does to not let it rev to high once you have a oil problem ??
    Sorry bout the long message and i dont really know whats going on with these things.
    just so you know i havnt re checked the compression once this problem has occured.

Any help would be great guys cheers

Banned User
    +1
    I would check your compression again and see what you have.

ok i re checked the compression and got 120 110 105 does this help ?

Banned User
    +1
    sounds a little low.Should be in that 130-140 range or so I believe

so bryan am i looking at a rebuild ? is it worth rebuilding these or just buying a new engine looks like i could pick one up here for just under 2000 g AU . and i was ln the hull looking around and im not sure what its called but i think its the muffler of some discription its the big red weird shaped looking thing ( sorry bout my ordinary discription) anyway where it meets whatever it is it meets. there is alot of dried salt from a leak it looks like . Could this cause a lack of RPM or power?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Your battery voltage is Low, The Domestic(RED) engines need a fully charged battery, Low voltage can cause misses/lack of power. The CDI on domestic engines requires the battery to deliver more than 10.6 volts while cranking the engine. An old or weak battery can not deliver enough voltage while the engine is cranking, and you will not have spark. This is a very common problem with Polaris PWC.

Even if the battery is 'brand new' you should take the time to actually measure the battery voltage with a multi-meter (not the voltage on the Polaris MFD display). Connect the multi-meter, then watch the battery voltage sag when you press Start. If the voltage does not stay above 10.6 volts the battery is no good. Even if you just bought it.

Does this ski have Gray Fuel line on it? If it does Replace it. It becomes bad inside.

Try taking another compression test..but shoot a little WD40 or light oil into each cylinder before hand and crank it over. Dry cyl walls can give false readings. The High/Low diff of both compression readings are 15#, so it may just be the differance in gauges. 115-125 range is runnable. Might be time to pull the heads and check the Cylinder walls.
    Check this link for more info on your ski. http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Cheers kaddano , ill check it out tomorrow . MAte now i have another problem ? My voltage when i kick it over the other day was showing 8.6 on the MFD so i charged the battery over night and when i put it back in the MFD lit up like normal now im getting an error saying low oil but there is plenty in it and the red lamp is flashing continusly. and when i trey and kick it over i think its the CDI is just clicking and wont kick over . OH MAN im so shit at this . sorry being a noob . ANY help would be great . sorry again

Banned User
    +1
    Did you disconnect the battery from the ski before you put the charger on it? Make sure the battery is actually charged. Put a voltmeter on it and see what you get.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Double check the wiring and connections to the oil tank float. You can pull it out and check it with a ohm meter also,possible the sender took a crap. and like Paul said,Check the voltage at the battery,also when cranking with a volt meter.

hey guys ,
    thanks for your time both of you ,i really apprieciate it . ok after a sleepless night worry bout the bloody thing . i got up this morning and pulled the wires off the batt again and where they were pulled into and cleaned them up and put them back on and bam off she went bit of a cough and a splutter but she went .So thanks again .
    Now guys got a couple more questions for you ,if you dont mind

1. guys do you think i lost power like i originally said because of my battery problem?

2. Any reason why my battery could have shit itself all of a sudden then? I bought it new only 2 months ago been using it every week with no problems at all . i did leave my lanyard in over night while away for the weekend would that cause it to go flat?

3. And someone said to to pull the head covers off and check the pistons conditon ! Is this hard to do ? And do i go about doing that?

$ Also guys when i bought the ski the guy gave me some oil it looks like a really old bottle and the oil looks shit . Whats the best oil to use for my ski?

And the low oil light prob is gone now it started kaddano, not sure why but it has so all good i think

Any way thanks again guys .

cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information