Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help Please. .

+1

Help Please. .

so this is my first post and u guy are probably going to think i know nothing. . well that is sorta true but i love my 02 1200R. . now here is my problem. . i always ran yamalube and premium gas 93 at the pump. . ( i hear i can use reg. should i start? ? ) the ski has the D-plate (chip of course) and the exhuast baffle removed. . and supposidely rejetted. . now i went riding the other day with a few buddies and before i went riding i put some oil in that he had laying around . . NOT YAMALUBE. . but of course for 2 strokes. . . half way through the ride i felt like i lost some mid range and take off . . . and after idleing for a while . . and taking off it lets a cloud of blue smoke out . . i pulled the plugs checked them they are wet. .checked compression . . ranged from 92 in the back to 97. im taking it tuesday to drain the oil and block off the oil pump and start premixing
    so the question is do you think im ok ? ? just start premixing. . like a nice guy i am . . with 4 skis riding out at the same time i didn't want them pulling over for me (right off the road we take to get the yamalube at the store) . . i hope im not paying the consiqunces now
    Last edited by 02gpR; 01-07-2007 at 10:14 PM.

I can answer a little of your questions but others will have a better answer than me. Unless you have advanced the timing or raised the compression 87 octane will run better than supreme. You dont have to use yamalube once you deleted the cat. I dont know alot about 1200s but the compression seems low. Pre-mix is always a good Idea just a little more hassle.

I'm thinkin you're ok. Probably just fouled the plugs, replace plugs and see if you get your performance back. Like Porksword said, run 87 octane unless you have bumped the compression or timing. Those compression readings are low but it's probably a cheap guage you're using, the fact that all cylinders are within 5 lbs of each other is a good sign. Stock compression should be around 120 lbs.

+1
    Welcome to the forum

+1
    thanks guys . . yea im going to start pumping 87. . it;s just my truck takes the 93 and i usually fill the ski and the truck at the same time . . guess i need to stop that and save 10 cents a gallon . . not to0 bad of a trade off i rather not pre mix for the hassle but i know it is the safest thing to do . . lets see what happens this time around im going to the keys this weekend to ride so it might be a disaster . . or just the plugs

+1
    Welcome to the forum! Lots of good people here to help.

When checking compression make sure battery is fully charged,
    throttle wide open and other 2 plugs must be in. Try it again if
    you didn't do all this.

I always run premium due to the fact its what all my other toys
    run.

Don't think oil blending was your problem unless the oil was
    contaminated.

Premium will actually cost you some hp and rpm's in a stock GPR because it burns too slow.

+1
    My thoughts on oil are if your spinning 7000rpm or more you need premium oil I ran cheap oil for years but never saw 7000rpm.
    As soon as you hit that 7000rpm you need to upgrade the oil.
    Compression should be confirmed on another gauge.
    SCOTT.........

+1
    definately check your compression again. If you did it properly and 92-97 are the real numbers, then you need to verify those readings with another guage. 92-97 is pretty low, it should be in the 115-130 range

+1
    so i tried the compression test again how ever not a fully charged battery they were all at 100 . . this is never charging the battery but leaving the other 2 spark plugs in! im guessing it is fine. . i hope i just fouled plugs. . seems like thats all it is how ever i looked by the exhaust, and it is really realy black. . it is always cleaned and never dirty at the end of the day of riding . . this is very confussing to me. . im going to the keys this weekend with my g/f and i don;t want it to blow up on me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information