Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1

Truck ignition cylinder lock question

hey guys..

I gotta quick question I have a ford diesel truck and I never thought about it but the black housing around the key ignition isn't there.. the cover that looks like this:

I was wondering because I know on OEM ford parts you can get a new ignition lock cylinder.. however I'm wondering if I got this would that mean I would have to get a new set of keys? Or could I use my same keys? Basically I'm assuming right now without that black piece there my truck can be started with like a screw driver??

So If I got a new cylinder ignition lock for like the $82 dollars on ford OEM will that mean I need new keys? Is the key what turns the ignition lock... or what actually spins whats inside? As said with that black piece gone wouldn't that mean you could start it with just a screw driver??

+1
    No you shouldnt be able to start it with a screwdriver. The black piece is a trim ring-for looks. The actual tumbers inside the lock cylinder behind the black trim ring are what the key engages. You can get a lock cylinder from autozone-orileys someone like that for about $25 and swap your tumbler set into it so you use the same key. If your uncomfortable with doing this yourself take the 2 ignition sets to a locksmith-it takes me about 2-3 minutes total to swap the tumblers. TO remove the ignition switch do a google search -youll have to remove the shrouds and have the key but surely someone has a video on it-hard to explain in text.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    No you shouldnt be able to start it with a screwdriver. The black piece is a trim ring-for looks. The actual tumbers inside the lock cylinder behind the black trim ring are what the key engages. You can get a lock cylinder from autozone-orileys someone like that for about $25 and swap your tumbler set into it so you use the same key. If your uncomfortable with doing this yourself take the 2 ignition sets to a locksmith-it takes me about 2-3 minutes total to swap the tumblers. TO remove the ignition switch do a google search -youll have to remove the shrouds and have the key but surely someone has a video on it-hard to explain in text.
    So I can go to Advance auto parts or Napa or O'relieys and the actual part the key goes into can be replaced for under $30 that part? What is the difference of that and an ignition lock cylinder

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    hey guys..

I gotta quick question I have a ford diesel truck and I never thought about it but the black housing around the key ignition isn't there.. the cover that looks like this:

I was wondering because I know on OEM ford parts you can get a new ignition lock cylinder.. however I'm wondering if I got this would that mean I would have to get a new set of keys? Or could I use my same keys? Basically I'm assuming right now without that black piece there my truck can be started with like a screw driver??

So If I got a new cylinder ignition lock for like the $82 dollars on ford OEM will that mean I need new keys? Is the key what turns the ignition lock... or what actually spins whats inside? As said with that black piece gone wouldn't that mean you could start it with just a screw driver??

There is a switch at the back of the lock that actually starts the engine, the tumblers are what allow the key to rotate...If you are missing the black part, but the setup works fine, don't worry about it...Get your hands on a used one from a boneyard and you could probably just swap covers...Unless you mess with the tumblers...

You must be busy with football, women, or both...Chicago boat show this weekend....

And return my texts!

+1
    or does the ignition lock cylinder go around the tumbler?

+1
    The ignition lock cylinder is the bare aluminum part in your photo behind the black cap-the tumblers are inside. Yes-most auto parts stores have these and they are coded with a generic key-but if you use your original tumblers in it your original key will fit. It can be hard to swap just the black caps-they break the tabs on the back pretty easy when you try to remove them. Make sure you ask for a ignition lock cylinder -not a ignition switch-which is the electric switch behind the lock cylinder. That spring loaded pin sticking up at the top of the photo is what holds it in the colum.

Thread Information