Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Honest opinion on resale value.

Hey everyone:
    So here is my Butt ton of money lost problem.
    I bought a Gp800 model 00' for $2750 over the summer.
    The engine blew and i had it replaced with an SBT Motor "2 year warranty"
    In November the engine blew up AGAIN! Mechanic said my spark plug tip fell into the engine.

I AM DONE!! i no longer want this money pit!
    I told my guy NOT to install the NEW SBT when it arrived.

Cost: $2750
    1st repair: $2400ish "motor/labor"
    2nd repair: $700 labor "estimate with install"
    Total: $5850 roughly....

I want to sell it all. New engine in crate, and the ski with no engine installed.
    The body is in great shape, small "repaired" scratch, RD plate installed, used about 50 hours "tho it dosnt matter"

What do you guys believe i good reasonably ask for this ski and crated engine?

Engine: http://www.shopsbt.com/yamaha_jet-sk...m/P40-406.html

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    For that ski with the motor you could maybe get $2500. I sold a 2000 GP 800 with 160hrs in running condition for $2550 just a few years ago.

+1
    If you are trying to sell the hull and engine seperate, I don't think you will do very well at all. I don't really see you getting more than $500-$750 for the hull and as far as the engine, if someone is looking for an engine and they have a core, chances are they probably will either go with the SBT core exchange program or offer you the same or less than what it will cost from SBT especially if they can get a warranty straight from SBT. Why would you purchase a second hand new in crate engine when you can just call SBT and get a fresh start to a warranty. Unfortunately I believe your best bet will be to assemble the ski and see if you can get a few bucks back off the second labor charge and ask around $3000 for it with a brand new engine with warranty and go from there. It sucks you have invested the time and money into a 12 year old two stroke but it is what it is. What was the cause of the first failure if you dont mind me asking?

Slow: thats good news
    Jet: good points, it will be hard to sell it like it is.
    The first failure was the cylinder hitting the spark plug. Shot it right out the bottom of the engine. I was in the middle of lake seneca when this happened.

+1
    Sure that ain't a 1999?

Either way, I'd say $1500 running...

+1
    I'm with Hydro, $1500 to $1750 running.
    Had my '97 GP760 with only 90 hours on it for sale for months last year. Finally unloaded it for $1600.

+1
    I think it will come down more to timing of the sale and supply and demand. If you sell it off season then yes, you will probably get less than if it was in season. Also, if they are a dime a dozen in his area, then his final resale will be lower as he will have to compete against other skis but if the average cost of a ski in his area is in the $4500 range and someone can't or doesn't want to offord that, he has more bargaining power and could unload it to someone who is looking in the $3500 and under price range and with a new engine never run, the buyer may feel more comfortable paying a little more for piece of mind or what he thinks is piece of mind. Either way, there will have to be several factors that play in the sellers favor for him to get an acceptable price on the sale and he will lose out either way as he has invested more into it than it is worth but how much of a loss will be determined in the near future. He is from my area and I can tell you from experience that late April, early May is about the earliest I would think about selling it. Before that and you will take a beating and if you wait any longer than early July, you will start losing money again as the season is peaking and the sale will go down. I bought my ski in late July on purpose. Early enough to get a couple good months out of it and late enough to get a good deal on it.

+1
    No more than 1700. I sell a lot of the gp1200r and a 2000 model is only demanding 2600 in peak time here in Texas. However there is a sucker born every minute...

Yeah this thing has killed me.
    I guess ill be hit again upon resale. might as well use it untill she is deader then dead and get my enjoyment out of it.
    Sell it for what i can if i find a newer for the right price, Oh well.
    I will keep my ads up and see if i receive an offer.
    this sucks

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    My friend just sold one that needed a top end rebuild (hull had ~110 hours on it) with trailer for $700 back in October or November. In southern NJ - important to note since prices in TX don't affect NJ prices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information