Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke woes

Cool 2 stroke woes

Hi my name is Phil, I live in Las Vegas (lake mead area) and Ive had my ski for 11 yrs now. The new law to pass here for Lake Mead in Jan 2013 will outlaw 2 stroke Pwc's. There is a catch, if you can pass 2006 smog regulations by converting to injection vs carb it will be legal. I have a 96 Slt 780 with the Blie fugi engine stock everything. Has about 100 hrs on it (the gage quit working 2 yrs ago after I let it sit for 2 yrs. My question is if there is any way to convert this engine to fuel injection or similar in order to continue using it? If so what would it wind up costing if I did it myself and where would I obtain the kit?

+1
    Your only chance is to get a complete engine, electronics, injectors, and fuel tank from one of the 2000 model year(or later) Virage FICHT skis and transplant that into your hull. In reality it is not worth going to all the trouble. It's possible the FICHT injection would meet 2006 emissions standards but I'm not certain about that. It's possible DI or 4-stroke engines from other manufacturers may fit in the hull but I don't know what those would be.

In all honesty, you probably need to sell the SLT and, if you want to stick with Polaris, find a Virage or Genesis that has a FICHT engine or look for an MSX: HO140, 110 Turbo or 150 turbo. The reality is any transplant into the hull is going to be more work than it is worth...unless you really like doing mods and want a challenge.

KJ

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Your only chance is to get a complete engine, electronics, injectors, and fuel tank from one of the 2000 model year(or later) Virage FICHT skis and transplant that into your hull. In reality it is not worth going to all the trouble. It's possible the FICHT injection would meet 2006 emissions standards but I'm not certain about that. It's possible DI or 4-stroke engines from other manufacturers may fit in the hull but I don't know what those would be.

In all honesty, you probably need to sell the SLT and, if you want to stick with Polaris, find a Virage or Genesis that has a FICHT engine or look for an MSX: HO140, 110 Turbo or 150 turbo. The reality is any transplant into the hull is going to be more work than it is worth...unless you really like doing mods and want a challenge.

KJ

To date, the FICHT Injection was the cleanest for emissions ever made. Saddly, it had so many problems (glitches) that Polaris decided it was cheaper to end the production of thier watercraft than to get out of thier contract with Evinrude to build thier electronics. This is the last year that Polaris Industies had thier contract, and there are rumors that Polaris will introduce a 2013 Line up of PWC's soon.

To address your topic question: Sell your ski for what it's worth and look to invest in a newer FI 2-stroke. Or 4 stroke, but be prepared to do twice the maint at twice the cost.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    To date, the FICHT Injection was the cleanest for emissions ever made.....and there are rumors that Polaris will introduce a 2013 Line up of PWC's soon.
    Good correction. I had forgotten that back when OMC first introduced the FICHT technology in their outboards they touted as exceeding CARB 2006 standards. So, yeah, it would meet specs but isn't worth the effort.

I believe the BRP buyout of OMC was completed in 2001. I wonder if that had any bearing on the decision by Polaris to discontinue it's FICHT based PWC's?

2013 Polaris PWC's ?!?!?!?!?!

Do tell. You can't throw that one out there without giving us more info and/or links.

Banned User
    +1
    I thought I read somewhere that the Polaris FICHT injected skis did meet 2006 emissions requirements.

Banned User
    +1
    2013 Polaris skis?????? Like I could afford one anyways......

+1
    If doors 1 and 2 are too expensive, choose door #3. Move to a new lake. Probably the cheapest route.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    2013 Polaris skis?????? Like I could afford one anyways......
    Probably not gonna get one of those for $500 on a trailer, huh?

Oh, and Welcome to the Hulk!!

Banning 2 strokes on the lake all together. That's a load of sh!t if I ever heard one. What about all of the guys with the vintage stuff. You cannot have a classic or a standup on that lake. Unbelievable!!!!! I don't care what they do with the law where I live, the law can stick it in there asses. I'll pollute till I'm dead! 2 smoke forever!!!!

It would be neat to watch Polaris jump back in and dust the competition their first year back!

+1
    Lake Tahoe banned all 2 strokes several years ago. Have you noticed you don't see any new Lawnboy 2-stroke mowers in the stores anymore? Most string trimmers are now 4-stroke except for the cheapies. You can't even get a 2-stroke snow blower around here.

KJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information