Question Going to look at a 2002 XLT1200 tomorrow, what should I inspect?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to waverunners, but I've done some research.

I will be going to look at a 2002 XLT1200 tomorrow (1/13/2012), and I'm hoping to put together a nice consolidated list of what I should inspect with the info that you all can provide.

Thanks!
    Chris

Welcome to the Greenhulk, you will find lots of posts that have covered that question over and over about many different skis use the search feature and do some reading. gl with your purchase http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...kpcnawQ_Kygcqw http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...4KfEYkZesJbSmg

Thanks. I've done the requisite searching and found many different gotchas which I've taken note of, I just didnt know if there were any specific to this particular ski.

Hours is a big thing, if its a really high time ski it may need preventive maint work. Possibly even pistons and rings. so anything with 150-200 hrs I would just assume change it out.
    Big things.
    1. Compression, thats you first clue. 120psi in all 3 cylinders if you have a pressure gauge. Make sure throttle is wide open when cranking the engine over for the check.
    2. Look inside the prop from underneath in the intake side if its all dinged up, then new prop will be needed.
    3. When running the engine if it sounds like the prop is grinding its gonna need a new prop and wear ring.
    4. Corrosion anywhere and everywhere
    5. when was the carbs rebuilt last or have they ever? Should be every 3-4 years if you want it to run perfect imho.
    6. if you get to ride it, does it bog down out of the hole, possible carb issue, how is it to start out of the water. Make sure its stone cold when you start it. If he got it running right before you got there it may hide some common indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Hours is a big thing, if its a really high time ski it may need preventive maint work. Possibly even pistons and rings. so anything with 150-200 hrs I would just assume change it out.
    Big things.
    1. Compression, thats you first clue. 120psi in all 3 cylinders if you have a pressure gauge. Make sure throttle is wide open when cranking the engine over for the check.
    2. Look inside the prop from underneath in the intake side if its all dinged up, then new prop will be needed.
    3. When running the engine if it sounds like the prop is grinding its gonna need a new prop and wear ring.
    4. Corrosion anywhere and everywhere
    5. when was the carbs rebuilt last or have they ever? Should be every 3-4 years if you want it to run perfect imho.
    6. if you get to ride it, does it bog down out of the hole, possible carb issue, how is it to start out of the water. Make sure its stone cold when you start it. If he got it running right before you got there it may hide some common indicators.
    Thanks for the checklist!

Well, went and checked it out... it has a d-plate and oil bypass, new seats, but 120 hours. The seller did a compression check on all 3 cylinders and they were all between 105 and 110. Does that seem low to anyone? He's asking $2700.... thoughts?

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    Perfect should be 120 and up. Did you get to drive it in the water? Thats the true test. The machine can sound great on land but in the water is where issues become very apparent.

+1
    It is a little low but generally considered fine. The fact that they are all close together is the important part. A top end rebuild should definitely be considered with that many hours though. I bought mine with 113 hours before I spun the 3rd piston ring at 180Hrs.

+1
    Depends on condition of hull, carbs rebuilt and how long do you plan on keeping it? Hours are a funny thing as there is at times no rhyme or reason to failures. Offer less than asking for the time if year. What gauge did he use and was the battery fully charged with throttle wide open? How many hours would you guess to ride?

Thread Information