Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Good ski - no registration??

    I have a neighbor with a good, running polaris that he has no registration for. I will be acquiring a Kawasaki for parts that has a current registration. Is there any way for my neighbor to make use of the Kawi registration for his polaris ski short of actually using my Kawi hull?? Thanks for any suggestions.


  2. #2
    steach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rock Tavern, NY
    Posts
    3,174
    +1
    174
    WOW, I hope not! what would keep you from steeling my ski?

    -If he lawfully owns the ski, work with your DMV. If not, eat shit.

  3. #3
    SpectraBrite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA / Blythe, CA
    Posts
    255
    do a lien sale and keep it polaris

  4. #4
    Lien sale?? Not familiar with that. Can you educate me? I don't want to buy his ski or anything - he was just looking to try and resolve his title issue. He bought it off of someone who used it on a private lake (pond) and never registered it - I think???

  5. #5
    To the best of my knowledge - he does lawfully own the ski and has tried working with Wildlife and Fisheries for his registration. He has just not had any success. And seriously - I don't have any reason to believe that this neighbor stole the ski or purchased stolen property - see above.

  6. #6
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    1,347
    +1
    2
    You NEED a title to register a PWC. to get a new title issued, he must go to the DMV. He will need the HIN (hull identification number), the serial number on the motor, the apprximate value ofthe ski and his drivers licence. Here in California I had to do this once, and it cost me a total of $40 (this included a new title and registration). They will issue the registration on the spot, and send a new title in the mail once the HIN & SER #'s come back clean and not stolen. If it is stolen, well..... lets just say a few law enforcement officers may be coming over to his house to ask some questions.

  7. #7
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,799
    +1
    2,013
    It differs from state to state. Some staes don't even issue titles for PWC's, & you just bring a bill of sale & the previous owner's registration to have it put in your name. Here in FL it's a basically impossible to register a ski without a title. You have to find the last person it was titled to & convince them to apply for a replacement doc. I bough a hull from out of state, lost the title & couldn't get a replacement...ended up costing me $350 for these guys to get me a title from Maine.
    http://www.getnewtitle.com/

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rotterdam,NY & Moneta, VA
    Posts
    1,617
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonP View Post
    I have a neighbor with a good, running polaris that he has no registration for. I will be acquiring a Kawasaki for parts that has a current registration. Is there any way for my neighbor to make use of the Kawi registration for his polaris ski short of actually using my Kawi hull?? Thanks for any suggestions.
    what state your from will really help. I have a trailer i have been trying to get registered and they wont issue me a registration either. The worst part is i have contacted all the prior owners of the trailer and obtained notarized letters and bills of sales to the follow owner. Plus i have a copy of the Certificate of origin with all the owners names listed on it. NYS DMV still told me im SOL. They told me with out the original certificate of origin, tittle, or transferable registration they cant re tittle it.

    The person i bought it from said his state wont issue a duplicate certificate of origin.


    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    You NEED a title to register a PWC. to get a new title issued, he must go to the DMV. He will need the HIN (hull identification number), the serial number on the motor, the apprximate value ofthe ski and his drivers licence. Here in California I had to do this once, and it cost me a total of $40 (this included a new title and registration). They will issue the registration on the spot, and send a new title in the mail once the HIN & SER #'s come back clean and not stolen. If it is stolen, well..... lets just say a few law enforcement officers may be coming over to his house to ask some questions.
    every state is different you do realize that right? In NY I go to the dmv to register any motor or street legal vehicle and in other states you go to in land game and fisheries to register boats, pwc and stuff. Not only that but prof of ownership changes from state to state.

  9. #9
    SpectraBrite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA / Blythe, CA
    Posts
    255
    from CA dmv website -

    If a person has repaired, furnished supplies or materials, towed or stored a vehicle AND has not been paid for the services rendered, that person has a lien against the vehicle. The lien arises at the time the registered owner is presented with a written statement of charges for completed work or services.

    If the vehicle is towed by a public agency or private towing company, the lien arises when the vehicle is towed or transported. The lien may be satisfied by selling the vehicle through the lien sale process.

    To conduct a lien sale, the person/lienholder must have possession of the vehicle and have lien sale authorization from DMV. Interested parties, including the registered and legal owners of record will be notified before the sale occurs.

    If the vehicle's value is $4,000 or less, the registered and legal owners of record will be notified by the party conducting the lien. If the vehicle's value is greater than $4,000, DMV notifies all interested parties. You can call (916)-657-7617 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. if you have questions regarding lien sales.

  10. #10
    porschemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    1,271
    +1
    32
    Need to know the state you are trying to title this in-as stated each state is different. I lived in Tennessee and they dont issue titles on many items-including PWC's and trailers. I moved to Missouri and had to take every ski and every trailer I owned to the highway patrol -they do a HIN-VIN search to make sure they were not stolen and issued me papers for titles. I have bought several skis from out of state that dont issue titles and have to take them as well as bill of sales to highway patrol each time. I like the fact that Missouri issues titles on everything-PWC- Boats-outboard motors-trailers. Feel more secure when purchasing something that has a title vs someone writing a bill of sale on a piece of paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectraBrite View Post
    from CA dmv website -

    If a person has repaired, furnished supplies or materials, towed or stored a vehicle AND has not been paid for the services rendered, that person has a lien against the vehicle. The lien arises at the time the registered owner is presented with a written statement of charges for completed work or services.

    If the vehicle is towed by a public agency or private towing company, the lien arises when the vehicle is towed or transported. The lien may be satisfied by selling the vehicle through the lien sale process.

    To conduct a lien sale, the person/lienholder must have possession of the vehicle and have lien sale authorization from DMV. Interested parties, including the registered and legal owners of record will be notified before the sale occurs.

    If the vehicle's value is $4,000 or less, the registered and legal owners of record will be notified by the party conducting the lien. If the vehicle's value is greater than $4,000, DMV notifies all interested parties. You can call (916)-657-7617 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. if you have questions regarding lien sales.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cheaper 4 tech oil filter option...good or no?
    By JAG in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
  2. is a 2002 gtx-di a good ski?
    By sic fish in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
  3. Need Help, New Skis, No Fuel
    By rickreeves1 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 09:46 PM
  4. Need help with Yamaha Jet ski ... No speed
    By welterracer in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 10:20 PM
  5. Good ski for jumping waves
    By rxpblast in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •