Retail sails tax collection on a used pwc purchase from a private individual

Guys, just wanted to know if any of you have experienced this, it may only affect Ontario but not sure. So I have purchased a few watercraft over the last 10 years and have never had to pay sales tax on the private purchases. It always pissed me off about car sales how the original sale generates a huge amount of tax profit for the govenrment and then they make tax profit over and over again everytime the used vehicle is sold.

Anyways... my last pwc purchase was in April of last year, now I recieve a letter from the Ministry of Revenue asking me for more info on my purchase. They want to know if I paid HST on the purchase and if not then I need to send them their cut.

If I dont respond within 60 days they "may" estimate tax amount with daily intrest from date of purchase and issue me a tax bill.

WTF!

So have all of you that purchased private used pwc's in Ontario got this tax letter then sent in the $$$ the government? I bought a set of used tires recently too, maybe I should send in a check for that as well.
    Last edited by 4life; 01-13-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    The Ministry of Revenue probably gets a list of the used boat sales when the registration is being changed to reflect the new owner. Get the seller to write up a bill of sale with all kinds of notations about "as is where is" and poor condition then let them have their taxes on a reduced value.

I have purchased all of my skis used through my friends motorsport dealership so the bill of sale shows the taxes paid. In every case when transfering the registration a few weeks later I got a letter requesting the taxes. I always send a copy of the bill of sale and never hear any more.

I agree it's BS that the govt can tax you every time an item changes hands. The only reason they can get away with it is they have a means of tracking the change of ownership. With an automobile purchase in B.C. you cannot change the title or get insurance without first paying the taxes so they have you by the short and curly's.

Ya I got the same S--T too even though I paid the taxes at the boarder to them, now I got another one but dont have a bill of sale and have no way of contacting the previous owner. So what Now????

+1
    It's not a registered letter so how do thay no you got it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wmchen61 View Post
    Ya I got the same S--T too even though I paid the taxes at the boarder to them, now I got another one but dont have a bill of sale and have no way of contacting the previous owner. So what Now????
    Send them a copy of the receipt from the border, never send the original as it will mysteriously go missing.

I just imported a vehicle from the US and the 5% H.S.T. was collected at the border and the 7% P.S.T. was collected when getting insurance. In your case you may have only paid the H.S.T. at the border and the letter is for the P.S.T. portion.

Thread Information