+1

Gauge cver scratched

Guys I have an 05 GPR with the gauge cluster really scratched up. Was thinking that there should be something that can be used on the plastic to get rid of the scratches. Some of them are pretty deep but most do not seem to be real bad. It just makes reading the gauges hard in the sunlight. I don't care about the speed ( its disconnected anyway) have a better tach just for fuel and I don't like it being that scratched up. Not sure how it really happened..

Thanks

+1
    Take it buy a bodyshop. You can sand it with progressively finer sandpaper getting the scratches out and buff it after. I start with anything from 400 down to 80 grit depending on how deep they are and work my way up to 3000 grit and use it wet. By the time your done with the 3000 it's almost perfect. Buffing with some compound makes it like new. Most major bodyshops that do headlight repair should do it. You can do it yourself but I've got about $250-$300 in boxes of 2" da paper for doing this. Wouldn't be very cost effective to buy all tbe materials for one time repair.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    Guys I have an 05 GPR with the gauge cluster really scratched up. Was thinking that there should be something that can be used on the plastic to get rid of the scratches. Some of them are pretty deep but most do not seem to be real bad. It just makes reading the gauges hard in the sunlight. I don't care about the speed ( its disconnected anyway) have a better tach just for fuel and I don't like it being that scratched up. Not sure how it really happened..

Thanks
    check with the autoparts stores... they are carrying kits to refurb headlamp lenses

Ive used automotive polishing compound before

+1
    The headlamp restorer kits are usually to remove the surface oxidation and polish the plastic lens afterwords if you have deep scratches they have to be sanded out first before you can polish them. That's where the sandpaper for a small dual action sander comes into play you may be able to find someone to sell you individual sheets but they are usually by the box. Think of it like having a deep scratch in the paint of your car that went down to the primer or e coating. You can buff all day and there isn't enough abrasives in the compound to cut the scratch out of the paint That's when it has to be sanded and feathered out.

+1
    3M makes a fantastic plastic rubbing compound. Like said above, it won't get out the deep stuff but might make it "good enough" for the girls you go out with.

+1
    Wet sand with 400-then 600- then 1000. You do not have to go all crazy, you should be done in 5 minutes with all three grades. Then you want to use a small 3 inch buff. This is a small cheap one that will do the job for the gauge and around the ski for the average use
    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...kit-99934.html

Then this is what I like to use for the gauge. I have about 13 different expensive 3m compounds and this one seems to cut nice and does not over cut when using it on the ski.
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=896871_0_0_

Just use a small dab on the gauge, you can use a rag and just wipe it on and then buff away, you want to buff until the compund looks like it is gone then wipe it off and go for it again. Will come up like new and you can use that compund on the visor and around the ski and it will shine up like new. Let me know how you make out.

Thread Information