Do or Do Not? 2004 GTX

Boss let his daughter use his 2004 GTX WB Ed. for the 4th of July about two years ago. Got a rope caught around the drive shaft. Couple of boys (2-strokers) pass by and decide to lend a hand. Flip it over and remove the rope but flood the engine. When they can't start it they decide to tow it back in but nobody knew about the required hose clamp. Boss knows what to do when he sees it and it goes straight to the shop where they drain the oil numerous times, etc. to try and salvage it. Seems it may just make it but after a couple hours it eventually dies. Sends it back to the shop where the price to fix it is quoted to be almost the same price as what it was worth if it was running. It has been sitting in storage ever since. Recently he offered to give it to me for free since he had to remove it from where he was storing it but I'm on the fence. He did ask that if I fix it that he would like to use it a couple times a year and not just sell it off. Haven't accepted the offer yet since I wanted to see about how much it would cost for me to do it myself. I've worked on numerous 2 stroke lawn mowers etc. but have never tackled a 4. Not being afraid of a challenge I have started to tear it down just to see what's wrong with it.

1) Overall from what I'm told it had very low hours. Trailer is in great shape but missing a rear brake light.
    ) Electrical system seems to be okay. Comes on, two beeps, etc. but battery has gone bad and won't charge.
    2) Spark plug on # 1 is demolished from the threads down. It appears the insulator, etc was shoved up into the rest of the plug. Intake is littered with metal flakes. It appears #1 is blown and probably the rod is toast as well. Not sure on the block or head conditions but I should know more by the weekend.

Assuming the valves, head, block, have survived, is it worth a go or would you pass?

+1
    I would pass. the damaged plug, usually means dropped valve, and takes out the piston, head, and sometimes even the block. Also metal shavings in the intake usually means the SC is toast from touchdown, so add a New updated SC to the list.The 04's were prone to bad weaker valves dropping, and would have to be replaced with 06+ valves.

+1
    for free, i would take it if it was being giving to me, but i'm a prof mechanic so its a cake walk for myself !!!

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    ASSUMING that the head is toast, you can usually find an '06 or newer on eBay for around $600. If the block is ruined, it will run you in the $800-$1500 depending on how many people are bidding or selling. Everything else you could find here in the GH store (gaskets, bolts, bearings, pistons, exc...) and probably end up spending around $1000.

Been there, done that already with my '03. If I were you, I'd pass. If you were already a 4-tec guy and had parts just laying around that needed a new home, you're going to spend too much.

My adivise is to part out the entire ski - (Keep the trailer if it is in good shape) Use the money to put toward another ski.

Just my .02

+1
    Welcome to the forum.

Depending on what all has to be replaced you could easily put as much in it as its worth.
    Being a 185 hp 04 I would guess you would be lucky to get 4,000 out of it if it was running.

This particular WB Ed. is the non-supercharged one. It also appears that the valves did not cause the problem. Well so far I've got the intake/exhaust, wiring harness, cam sprocket, etc. off. Tried loosening the head bolts but they ain't wanting to budge. Took a pic of the valves for #1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan2012 014.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	262188

Chances you will find the problem with the valves on the exhaust side.

You're right ... I should have said "appears the intake valves did not cause the problem."

Well heads off with the help of a breaker bar. Couple of pics enclosed. Looks like the block came out okay but the head was beat up a bit and the exhaust valves on #1 have been held open for 2 years because of the debris. Cylinder was scarred some.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinders.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	262239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	262240

Wow, that piston really shattered. Must have spun a bearing or broke a rod bolt. Probably caused by them trying to start it while it was hydrolocked and bent a rod. Hopefully the crank is not too damaged.

Thread Information