Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Buying Advice - Looking at a 1996 750

I am looking into a 1996 750 that needs a new top end. The guy wants 475obo. From the listing it "Had a complete top-end rebuild last year but the carb was set wrong and the #1 piston burned out, crankshaft fine, only had about 3 hours run time." It also had the jet drive rebuilt at the same time. Comes with a trailer. It looks like it was taken care of from the pictures, below:

I am pretty good with tools, so I'm thinking about doing it myself and from what I've read it seems like it would be straight forward just need to take my time.

What do you all think? Anything else to look for?

Banned User
    +1
    The trailer alone is worth that. THats a Triton aluminum trailer. Even if it needs a full rebuild on the engine, Its probably worth it. But if the crank is good, It will cost about 200 bucks to do the fuel system upgrades to prevent burning up a piston again. After everything is re assembled, do a leak test on the motor to make sure its good. After that checks out you should be good to go.

+1
    nice looking ski!

if you want a project, and are able to do the job, i say go for it. if you do everything your self, and go over everything ( fuel system, cooling system, etc) you will know what you have, and it should give you years of trouble free fun.

i have most any part here, you would need. new pistons, rings, gaskets, good used short block engine, all fuel related parts, etc.

feel free to email or call if i can help.

Banned User
    +1
    John is the man to see for all the parts you need!!!!! He has the fuel pump and carb kits. The carb kit he has includes only the parts you need. Saves about 70 bucks or so.

+1
    That is a '96 SLT780.....not a 750. Aquablue below the rub rail, factory sponsons, strakes under the nose, reverse lever, and the elongated flame arrestor tell that tale.

Fuel upgrades are a non-issue on this ski as it came with a pentagonal high output, 3-outlet fuel pump. However, getting a pump rebuild kit from Zigler is good insurance to make sure everything is top notch. You should also get complete carb rebuild kits and thoroughly go through those as well.

That is a very good price for that ski.

Before you tear into the top end perform a leak-down test. If the cases and seals are in good shape you can just do the top and and be on the water. However, if anything leaks your best bet is to pull the motor, check the crank, split the cases, install new front and rear seals, and reassemble.

KJ

Banned User
    +1
    the 95 SLT 750 is blue under the rail, however you are right that is a 96 780, which is a better ski anyways

+1
    I would pop the heads and see what you got. If you have to replace a piston, you will need to pop that head anyway... There may be some scoring or other issues in that one....

Either way, sounds like a good find!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Those are good skis, and that's a fantastic price.

HOWEVER: I am a little leary on crank condition. If it was recently rebuilt, WHY???

If they holed a piston then, and you have a holed piston now, there is most likely ALOT of aluminum flakes (pieces of damaged piston) floating around inside the crankcase and most likely inside the bearings.

If you're looking for a project as mentioned above, by all means go get it. But, if you are looking to just replace a piston and get a great deal, it may come back to bite you.

Unfortunately the crank is the heart of these engines, and are the most expensive part.

+1
    Well I just picked it up and was able to get it for a bit lower than the asking price. I think it's safe to say I'll be trolling around here much more in the near future.

Thanks for the advise and insight.

+1
    Awesome! good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information