Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

JetBoats VS jetSkies comments 4-tech

I recently Purchased an 05 RXP and I'm loving it, I used to have a 96 mirage, lots of fun specially going to the Cays with friends. Now the Skies are a different adrenaline fun specially this new Supercharged.

A Friend wants to trade me an 05 Sporster with a 4-tech for my RXP, and I'm seriously considering it.

I need some sugestions on what to look for. Also What are the differences between them, Engine? Pump?, Any Failures?, What should I should ask for the Sportser, Is there an easy way to tell the Hours on them, The owner told me it doesn't show them as my rxp?

Any related comments will be appreciated, was not able to find a lot of info on the jetBoats.

+1
    well....
    it SEEMS to be a good deal...
    BUT....

compare them both quality wise... scratches dings and such...
    the engine, as im aware and pump and everything else IS the same...
    my 2006-07 rxp has the same parts as the 2010 150 sportster (215hp) my buddy has...

failures... shouldnt be any... really realiable boats...
    the hours SHOULD BE DISPLAYED on the cluster.....

whats the HP rating on that sportster? 215 hp..? or N.A. ? ....

review:
    personally its like comparing a banana to an apple... really different machines....
    both are fun, but forget that speed sensation, those tight turns, wake jumping, on the speedster...
    the speedster (same as the sportster i believe... just got renamed)
    is all about bringing 3 friends along with you, feel some G forces , and just have a nice day on the water... maybe have a small lunch, go swimming..
    it behaves VERY well for a boat...

on the side note, i find the gas tank too small, and honestly... id get a C180... especially on wakes... more comfort, handling and such...
    its a day and night difference on the water....

END.

the cons of the speedster 150 is obviously its size... its small , its really a 4 seat jetski... heck IMHO id get a rxt over the speedster...
    its compromising speed and the fun of a jetski , for more cargo room... and a friend...

other cons would be the small gas tank...
    low weight (jumps on wakes)
    seats, they ARENT adjustable... so some people find it uncomfortable....
    another minus would be that there is no windshield. which you will regret as you would want to ride for a longer period of time and more into the winter.....

im sure i could add way more details but my post will be too long, so feel free to ask questions... owned 2 seadoo boats and rode 4 other models on a somewhat long trip...
    (rode the S150, S200, Islandia, C-230, and i owned the utopia, which i later sold for a C180...)
    hope i helped...

oh and P.S. are there any accesories included, like trailer and such?

Its a sporster 05 with a 215hp, Notice the SC is red compare agains mine wich is black from pictures he send me. The Hull seems flawless , seems the J is in great shape as my very low hours jetski. I guess like you said is all about the use. I'm bias, i do enjoy a lot going with friends to the cays while the Ski leave more freedom on the weekends for solo adventures. I guess will take a look at what the business proposition will be and take it for a joy ride . Then I will really be in a predictament. IIf money was available should own both but since is not will follow your advice.

I'm Guessing JetBoats are also prompt for the same Performance Updates as the JKies in order to get some extra HP?

+1
    yep.. same performance mods... but different results (kinda obvious no...?the boat is bigger, heavier and has more contact with the water therefore more hydro-drag, turbulence and water displacement...)

ex: mod A will result in a 3HP gain and 2 MPH on a jetski...
    probably wont be the same gain on the boat, maybe you will gain 1 MPH and the same 3HP...

as i said... the speedster seems to be too small for my needs... and usage...
    find out the hours, hook it up to the seadoo computer (go to the dealer),
    look at the hours and such...
    get a "value" for it, like sale for dealer and the price they are willing to pay for one...
    same for your ski...
    might be worth getting the speedster, sell it, buy a newer jetski/jetboat...
    although... one notice, the rxp's and rxt's FLY when put up for sale... while the speedsters seem to stay...

mostly because of price though...

Yep, thats the idea, boats run for more money here in PR ALTHOUGH, they tend to be more slow at time of sale. But i could enjoy while wait for a better trade(rxp-x) or a sale to buy an x model, Someone told me the jboat will not display the hours(sporster 05) Any one with an answer?

Any other pigy back that could be use for diagnostic(will call some dealers tomorrow to get a quote)

+1
    well it SHOULD display the hours...
    my c180 does... all the seadoos i rode do....
    MAYBE the hour feature was somehow "locked" when connected to the seadoo system... but it SHOULD display them...
    and no other piggy back unless you are willing to spend 700$~~ for the candoo pro system... but it will limit it to 5 skis... and you owning one... well... seems like a "bad" deal...
    me owning 2 seadoos, eventually a third one, it seems to be worth it.. plus a friend of mine is interested so he might pay me 1/4 of the price or something to let him use the system...

yes jetboats ARE slower selling... like i said mostly because of price, the variety, and the inaccessibility (for ex: small garage)

EDIT: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121044
    made a small search, turns out the display isnt like the one on my rxp..
    so , no it doesnt have an hour meter, needs to be hooked up to buds....

and look @ the price he sold it... 1 year difference, (to now) and the one you are getting is the 215 HP......

honestly.. id trade it... and sell it for around the same price... the ski is only worth 4-5K if you look well, and maybe 6.5K in mid season here.... (but really good condition)
    if you are getting a fair trade (details on what you a re giving up and getting would help)
    id go for it... sell it or even give it back to a stealer (loose some money but it will be GONE) and get something newer/that you like more...

hope i helped.

EDIT 2: im surprised by how little the old sportster changed to its new name "speedster"... im sure there have been changes like larger fuel tanks and updated parts... but man it looks the same...

We are in the Right Track they sell for more here in PR 11-12.5, for that I could get an rxp-x or rxt-x.... My RXP is very low hours so If I get a Great deal will keep it for a while then sell it or trade it for an rxt-x. Thanks for the advice and seems I will need BUDS in order to get te hours...., other than tat.. should be an easy comparison since RXP and sporter have the same engine....

+1
    and while its at the marina/dealer for the buds hook up, you might aswell pay abit more and have them inspect it...
    just wondering WHY the guy is doing this...
    its clearly worth more than the ski... so to me i feel as if theres a "catch"...

what are you giving/getting?
    just boat vs ski or some accessorys are included?
    either way, good luck with the deal!

Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    and while its at the marina/dealer for the buds hook up, you might aswell pay abit more and have them inspect it...
    just wondering WHY the guy is doing this...
    its clearly worth more than the ski... so to me i feel as if theres a "catch"...

what are you giving/getting?
    just boat vs ski or some accessorys are included?
    either way, good luck with the deal!
    +1
    I also feel like there's a "catch" cuz he can sell the jetboat for less compared to the other jetboats in the market, like 9.5k or something like that (if they go for 11-12.5) and get a rxp, plus some extra cash!
    I'd say check the hours on it, and try to get the history of jetboat, like when maintenance was done, etc.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by azsuptt View Post
    Its a sporster 05 with a 215hp, Notice the SC is red compare agains mine wich is black from pictures he send me. The Hull seems flawless , seems the J is in great shape as my very low hours jetski. I guess like you said is all about the use. I'm bias, i do enjoy a lot going with friends to the cays while the Ski leave more freedom on the weekends for solo adventures. I guess will take a look at what the business proposition will be and take it for a joy ride . Then I will really be in a predictament. IIf money was available should own both but since is not will follow your advice.

I'm Guessing JetBoats are also prompt for the same Performance Updates as the JKies in order to get some extra HP?
    Just quickly, 2004 and 2005 4tec engine had a red charger. All models after that were black.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information