Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 99 Polaris SLX 1050 problem

I bought a 99 Polaris SLX1050 PWC about a year and a half ago, It has good spark on two of the three cylinders but the other one will only spark once when hit the starter and then nothing while it is cranking, if anybody knows what the problem could be please let me know, I tried to test the CDI and stator, i cant find any place that I can buy the update kit from either they tell me that it has been discontinued and is no longer available. And i cant find any used ones either. Another thing is if i switch the Black/White, Black/Blue, Black/Green wires around that run from the CDI to the coils i can get spark on all three. what would cause that, Thanks to any help.

+1
    John Zigler can get you one

make sure you have atleast 10.6 volts while cranking or you won't get spark

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Check the volyage when cranking likes lugs said. If you change the wires around, does the no spark follow a certain color wire?

Banned User
    +1
    The 99 update kit is not available. I tried to get one last fall. However, the 96-98 kit is the same electrically, the only difference being the stator cable exit from the flywheel housing. You could somehow adapt the cable to work with your current housing, or just get a housing from a 96-98 ski.

+1
    try to take the plug boot off, and cut the wire back a 1/4 inch or so, to get into good wire.

may also try switch plug boots from cyl to cyl, as these can go bad also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by clay1191 View Post
    I bought a 99 Polaris SLX1050 PWC about a year and a half ago, It has good spark on two of the three cylinders but the other one will only spark once when hit the starter and then nothing while it is cranking, if anybody knows what the problem could be please let me know, I tried to test the CDI and stator, i cant find any place that I can buy the update kit from either they tell me that it has been discontinued and is no longer available. And i cant find any used ones either. Another thing is if i switch the Black/White, Black/Blue, Black/Green wires around that run from the CDI to the coils i can get spark on all three. what would cause that, Thanks to any help.
    The blk/white wire works with all 3 cylinders-switching that should cause no spark.
    The y/brn is for cyl #1 (mag/front cyl)
    blk/blue #2 -center
    blk/grn #3-rear cyl.

What is the part # on your CDI?
    You said you tested the stator,does it pass all the tests?
    You can not test the CDI,but you need to test everything else.Check for a bad connection,including where the plug wires attach at the coil. Does your 1050 have an in-line connecter for the stator wires ?

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    The blk/white wire works with all 3 cylinders-switching that should cause no spark.
    The y/brn is for cyl #1 (mag/front cyl)
    blk/blue #2 -center
    blk/grn #3-rear cyl.

What is the part # on your CDI?
    You said you tested the stator,does it pass all the tests?
    You can not test the CDI,but you need to test everything else.Check for a bad connection,including where the plug wires attach at the coil. Does your 1050 have an in-line connecter for the stator wires ?

the P/N for the CDI is 4010885, I tested the stator last year, i dont remember but i wasnt quite sure how to test it. Does any body know if i can just use a stator and CDI from an earlier model. when i switched the three wires around as i mentioned before i had spark to all three cylinders while cranking, i didnt know that the y/brwn wire was for one of the coils, maybe ill have to check that out. also could a bad flywheel cause this because when i took it off it was pertty corroded i just cleaned it with electrical parts cleaner and emory cloth, thanks

+1
    You have the updated ignition. (new style stator/CDI) These CDI's are programable. The update kit came with a new style stator(in 99 it was pretty much the 2000 model stator with the inline stator connecter) and a new style CDI,they used the 4010885 cdi and prgramed it for the 1050,it should have 447 written on it somewhere,the 447 means that is the new part # (4010447)

You need to do these tests: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97491

​Yes the stator has the the in line connector I can't really figure out how to test it though

What do you mean the CDI is programmable, how, I did notice tht it had a connector on it which looks like it could hook up to a computer cable

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information