+1

Drive shaft install

Guys, I'm in the process of installing my new shaft after the old one stripped the splines.
    I have a couple of questions. In the attached pics I just want to confirm that my drive shaft is far enough forward and that the tell tale groove isnt exposed. Also in the other picture does it look like the drive shaft splines are seated far enough into the impeller? I was kind of expecting them to go all the way in.
    Looking at my old shaft though, the wear on the splines seems to match the depth of the current one, so I'm assuming its okay, just wanted to be sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0717.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	262190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0719.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	262191

+1
    Here's my thread on this. People posted up pictures on how it should look.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149089

+1
    what i do sometimes is, since there is usually back and forth play in the shaft, i take the pump out, put something in where the splines are so when you bolt the pump back up the shaft can't move at all, then try pulling back on that bearing seal hard as you can.... the small shoulder should be right up on the face of the bearing in the rubber boot.... once all is well remove the pump and the part you used, usually i throw a large nut in there

+1
    Hey Meeper, so that pto bearing should definitely be more rearward on the shaft? It's very hard to see in the PDF shop manual where it should be. I used the method you described to install the c-clip, but didn't think to try it to get the pto bearing further down the shaft..

What are your thoughts on the impeller splines? I really don't want to strip another shaft/impeller!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Hey Meeper, so that pto bearing should definitely be more rearward on the shaft? It's very hard to see in the PDF shop manual where it should be. I used the method you described to install the c-clip, but didn't think to try it to get the pto bearing further down the shaft..

What are your thoughts on the impeller splines? I really don't want to strip another shaft/impeller!!!!
    there is a grove in the shaft for the oring thats inside that bearing to ride in, you can usually feel it clip in....

i think they look good, mine looks about that way because of the setback impeller i use and i haven't had any issues... if you are worried you could always move the engine back using an alignment tool, also if you put the engine back all the way you can get some weight off the bow setback props we don't need no set backs, we set back the engines!!

+1
    Given our similar set ups, how did you strip the splines?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    there is a grove in the shaft for the oring thats inside that bearing to ride in, you can usually feel it clip in....

i think they look good, mine looks about that way because of the setback impeller i use and i haven't had any issues... if you are worried you could always move the engine back using an alignment tool, also if you put the engine back all the way you can get some weight off the bow setback props we don't need no set backs, we set back the engines!!
    I did as you suggested meeper and put a spacer in the impeller splines. I pulled back on the PTO seal with all my effort and it didnt seem to budge, so Im thinking it is already seated in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by szt8b7 View Post
    Given our similar set ups, how did you strip the splines?
    Good question

Anyways, my ski is all back together and ready for a test run tomorrow.
    I'm now running a 2rude and a 3 blade 15/19, with a new carbon seal and boot, so I'm pretty keen to see how it goes .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    I did as you suggested meeper and put a spacer in the impeller splines. I pulled back on the PTO seal with all my effort and it didnt seem to budge, so Im thinking it is already seated in the right place.

Good question

Anyways, my ski is all back together and ready for a test run tomorrow.
    I'm now running a 2rude and a 3 blade 15/19, with a new carbon seal and boot, so I'm pretty keen to see how it goes .

Cool

thats a good setup you have there

Thread Information