GP1200. 1999 has sat idle for 6 years help and advice

Hi

I have owned my ski for 11 years now, sadly the last 6 years it's been sitting in the garage untouched for various reasons. Prior to this I winterised it. Obviously the battery is dead. I have siphoned as much fuel as I can from it, will be putting fresh fuel in. Getting new plugs and air filters. the engine won't turn over, currently it just clicks, single click.

I turned over the engine manually by hand by removing the intake grate to check to see if the pistons move and they do I have put lubed the cylinders by spray.

I want to know what you guys would recommend changing/servicing to get the ski running its completely stock, The ski probably has about 60-70 hours and is in really great condition, I have looked after it, well apart from the 6 last years.

The Trim cables are frozen need to get a new set, where is the best place to buy parts these days, I am in Sydney Australia. Looking for a supplier that doesn't charge the earth for parts, happy to go with aftermarket if you can get them. SBT seems pretty big and reasonable.

Should I be looking at changing the oil, it's never been changed?

When I tried starting it using the start button I did initially get a grrhhh sound, starter didnít seem to have enough grunt to cycle the pistons. Once i put in the new battery it now just clicks once. I donít get the two beeps i though i used to get from. But itís been a while and i canít remember, if this used to happen after the ski started.

Hoping to hear from you guys, I can't wait to get back on the water, I used to ride out at ettalong, and interested finding the new places around it seems the government has taken all the fun out of the local areas.

Has anyone seen the FlyBoard, http://www.zapata-racing.com/uk/flyboard_uk.php. This looks very kewl and would be a great addition. Cant wait for these to be available.

Thanks for your help and advice

W

Stick some two stroke oil down the spark plugs and let the ski sit for about a day or two. The rings are most likely seized to the bore and the oil will hopefully loosen them up. Leave the plugs out when you try and crank it over but be careful because if it turns over oil will most likely shoot out the plug holes and hit the roof (this happened to one of my 6cyl car engines). You may have to try and crank the motor over by hand bit by bit back and forth until the starter motor will crank it over.

99 gp1200 is pretty straigh fawd, some fresh fuel, 2stroke oil, plugs and battery is all that ull need to buy providing everything works as it should.. like he just said.. a little oil down the plag holes will help, they dont have a sump as such like a car so you wont need to do any oil changes like that. and they dont have an air filter. for ur trim.. you could try buying a cable lubricator and spray down in the cable and start wiggling the trim back and fawds and see if it will come loose that way. this worked with my mates gp1200

+1
    The oil does not need changing , its two stroke oil in the reservoir. Get a fresh battery and try cranking it again, if it wont spin freely its probably needing the starter looking at. The cables maybe rusted up ,if not try some WD40 with a cable luber and keep working it till they free up. Try resetting the padlock system, will the crank turn by hand with no plugs in place ? If so it should spin, clean up the earth points on the engine and the power cable as well. You may need new battery cables as corrosion can make for hard starting. Im on the Central Coast and have a 98 GP1200, send me a private message with your number and I will give you some tips if you have trouble. Adam

Hey guys thanks for the advice.

I decided to remove the exhaust and the exhaust manifold to get to the starter. I am trying to remove it but the sucker is in there really tight there is no movement at all with the two bolts removed that go to the engine bloc. Is there a trick to getting these out. I have tried wedging a screw driver in there to get leverage to remove. Banging on a pice of wood and nothing.

After removing the exhaust mani I can see there is some build up of stuff in there, what's the best way to remove this. should I use air compressor to blow the stuff out it isnt in the engine, it's in the water cooling spaces.

Ok so I got a rubber mallot and gave it a few hits and pryed the starter off. However the part with the oring has snapped come off the strater motor case and is still in the engine casing. Any idea on how to get this out?

Can I take the fly wheel cover off and push from the other side? use some type of rod and hammer it out.

I will need a new starter motor, what's the a good after market Starter. eBay has a few varying prices, has anyone tried these.

Keep in mind I am in australia.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugs View Post
    Ok so I got a rubber mallot and gave it a few hits and pryed the starter off. However the part with the oring has snapped come off the strater motor case and is still in the engine casing. Any idea on how to get this out?

Can I take the fly wheel cover off and push from the other side? use some type of rod and hammer it out.

I will need a new starter motor, what's the a good after market Starter. eBay has a few varying prices, has anyone tried these. EBay for a starter.

Keep in mind I am in australia.
    Take the cover off the flywheel and you will be able to punch out the broken part with a punch.

Hi Adam,

Do you mean flywheel cover? I didn't really want to pull the flywheel off unless absolutely necessary. I don't have a flywheel puller and would need to get one. I wanted to try and get The ski running now and rebuild engine during the
    Winter. Well that's what I was thinking, see what else I find.

Do you know if you can take starter motor to an auto electrician for repair? The look pretty standard apart from the size, I am guessing motor bikes have a similar setup. I saw some cheap ones on eBay but who knows what your buying. The originals I have found usually to be best on my car. I was thinking they might be able to recondition it.

Appreciate your thoughts?

Otherwise I am looking at getting one from SBT, the local one seem to be way over priced, where is the places to source reliable parts?

G

+1
    Yes the flywheel cover, and no you dont have to take the flywheel off. Ebay has new starters for $80 or so.

+1
    I'd be real careful with aftermarket starters. I've read these forums enough to know that those aftermarket starters don't seem to last very long.

I recently picked up two 1996 Sea Doo XPs on a double trailer. One ski would barely crank over. I tried 3 different fully charged batteries. None would crank that engine over with any speed. I took the first battery that I tried and installed it in my GP1200 and it spun that motor over like it was an 18 wheeler battery. At that point, I knew that the starter was junk. What do you know? It was an SBT starter!

I got a spare OEM Sea Doo starter (Denso) with the double ski purchase and I installed that starter and the Sea Doo cranks just fine.

Thread Information