Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dipstick reads low sometimes

I have a strange occurrence with my 300. Before I rode yesterday the dipstick read approximately 1 quart low, so I started the ski for a few seconds to get the oil moving inside the motor and rechecked and it still read low, so I added the appropriate amount of oil (1qt), rechecked and dipstick read right on the line. Then this morning I checked the oil again and noticed that I am now 1 full quart over. I know the boat is level each time I check the oil, as I also had my 260 on the same trailer and it's oil level read fine both cold and warmed up. This has happened once before, read low when in fact it had correct amount of oil. Why do you think the dipstick reads low like this on occasion?

+1
    John,

I can't speak for Kawi but on my Yamaha this is a freaking normal problem! These are not really dry sump engines and oil can get trapped in places and read low! I would certainly trust reading it HOT after you run it more than the cold reading! Hot meaning running on the water than just warming up.

Then again, I may be wrong but for my ski HOT engine reads more accurately than cold!

Good for you that you could go riding yesterday! This weekend looks shot for me due to weather!

Quote Originally Posted by no_more_rice View Post
    Dipstick seals well and traps some air. Pull it out a little and let it equilibrate before reading.
    Dipstick was removed several times, and turned over motor with it in and out. Same result.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    John,

I can't speak for Kawi but on my Yamaha this is a freaking normal problem! These are not really dry sump engines and oil can get trapped in places and read low! I would certainly trust reading it HOT after you run it more than the cold reading! Hot meaning running on the water than just warming up.

Then again, I may be wrong but for my ski HOT engine reads more accurately than cold!

Good for you that you could go riding yesterday! This weekend looks shot for me due to weather!
    Hey Reza, good info. Problem with running it on the water before checking is I don't want to run the motor if the oil level truly is that low.

Banned User
    +1
    Do a leak down test Jon ASAP and check your air box and intercooler for oil.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Do a leak down test Jon ASAP and check your air box and intercooler for oil.
    Why do you say do a leak down? What do you think might be happening? I am removing intercooler later today for regular cleaning, but initial inspection didn't seem to be any dirtier than previous.

Banned User
    +1
    Because if you have a stuck ring or failing ring or valve then you can do a leak down and compression test to check it. You should not be loosing a Qt of oil per ride. The oil is going somewhere. Especially if you fill it before a ride and its low after the ride.

Because if you have a stuck ring or failing ring or valve then you can do a leak down and compression test to check it. You should not be loosing a Qt of oil per ride. The oil is going somewhere. Especially if you fill it before a ride and its low after the ride.
    Good info Tommy, I will run a test this evening to be sure. I'm actually gaining oil at the end of the ride though (1qt), it just doesn't register on the dipstick until after I ride.

+1
    I think he said he`s now coming up 1 full quart over!! so he`s not loosing any oil at all.If hes reading 1 quart low and he adds 1 quart and then he comes up 1 quart over that means his oil never was low, his dipstick reading is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff007 View Post
    I think he said he`s now coming up 1 full quart over!! so he`s not loosing any oil at all.If hes reading 1 quart low and he adds 1 quart and then he comes up 1 quart over that means his oil never was low, his dipstick reading is wrong.
    Correct.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OC_JAX View Post
    Correct.
    Yea I edited my post but it did not go through I miss read what you posted. As long as ur not loosing ur good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information