Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Need advice on purchasing a new Seadoo

    I am looking to purchase one of 2 possible machines and would like any advice on what to look for and known problems prior to purchase. Keep in mind, I am in Canada so everything costs more that in the US.

    The first is a 2001 Seadoo RX. Below is the text from the sellers ad....
    IM SELLING MY 2001 RX SEADOO, IT RUNS EXCELLENT, 2 STROKE, 130 HP, FUEL INJECTED, FORWARD/NEUTRAL/REVERSE, ONLY 170 HOURS, COMES WITH TRAILER AND COVER, THIS SEADOO IS IN MINT CONDITION, IM SELLING IT FOR $5000, NEEDS NOTHING READY TO GO!

    The second is a 2006 Seadoo RXT. Below is the text from that ad
    ONLY 23 HOURS, less than 5 hours a summer.
    Comes with cover and a brand new easy loader trailer with less than 300 km.

    Be the first to have your Seadoo for the spring.

    Basically brand new have done all required services and have paperwork.

    $8900.00....Don't miss your chance!!!!!

    What does everyone think???? Any advice would be appreciated.......I think I am more interested in the RXT but know little about it.


  2. #2
    Stockrxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,009
    +1
    1
    This should be in the for sale section. No one will respond with the amount of info you have given. Now isn't a sellers market but good luck

  3. #3
    Ummm, Im not trying to sell them, I am looking for advice on purchasing one of them.....The script is from the original ads the seller wrote. I would like to know what to look for when I go and see them but more importantly if there are any know issues with either machine. I do not want to buy one then find out there was a known factory defect I could have avoided

  4. #4
    shui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    292
    +1
    2
    the 2001 seems over priced... might want to bum the price down abit... and what part of canada are you in?
    the prices OVERALL on used atv's/jetskis are CRAZY high...

    the rxt... also over priced... even WITH a trailer...
    the rxt worries me as of because the ceramic washer issue, but if he has papers that say he changed them at low hours... then go for it...
    the 23 hours worries me on the 2006... he either was NEVER riding it and got one because it was "cool" and was an awesome decoration on his lawn/garage or it had issues...
    id copy the paperwork and ask the dealer about the ski...

    are you looking to buy BOTH? or one of them?
    i dont know how the RX handles, but ... id avoid it honestly...
    the rxt , you will love it... good for speed, turns, just cruising around, slow cruising... and so on...
    either way you will be happy with any... also depends on how much you are looking to spend...

    add more details if you want us to help...

    hope i helped.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    the 2001 seems over priced... might want to bum the price down abit... and what part of canada are you in?
    the prices OVERALL on used atv's/jetskis are CRAZY high...

    the rxt... also over priced... even WITH a trailer...
    the rxt worries me as of because the ceramic washer issue, but if he has papers that say he changed them at low hours... then go for it...
    the 23 hours worries me on the 2006... he either was NEVER riding it and got one because it was "cool" and was an awesome decoration on his lawn/garage or it had issues...
    id copy the paperwork and ask the dealer about the ski...

    are you looking to buy BOTH? or one of them?
    i dont know how the RX handles, but ... id avoid it honestly...
    the rxt , you will love it... good for speed, turns, just cruising around, slow cruising... and so on...
    either way you will be happy with any... also depends on how much you are looking to spend...

    add more details if you want us to help...

    hope i helped.
    Thanks for the reply.....To answer your questions

    1. I live in Calgary, Alberta
    2. I am only looking to purchase one of them.

    Honestly, it does not even have to be one of these two. I currently have a 98 Seadoo GS and have had lots of fun hours riding it but I am growing tired of having to share it with the wife so the solution is to buy another one!!!

    As for your post, I gather you think I should avoid the 2001 RX model all together. For my own personal education, why are you recommending I do not consider purchasing it?

    With reference to the 2006 RXT I gather you think this would be the better choice of the two provided the creamic washers have been done and a satisfactory answer is provided as to why it has such low hours.

    If the washers have not been done, would this now be a machine to avoid or can I get something like this done after purchasing it if I went ahead? One reason why I thought this would be the preferable machine is due to the fact it is newer, it has a learning key and, Ill be honest, I love the fact that it has 215cc's. I will try to add more details when I get them however, this is all I know about them so far. All that being said, I am in no rush to get one either.

  6. #6
    shui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    292
    +1
    2
    how do you like that GS? i have one but 1997...
    i "dont" like it as its only for races and such... slalom... as soon as you stop... it tends to roll over really easily...

    now, depending on your weight of course... if you are havy like me @ nearly 240 pounds, it tends to be tipsy and only for 1 person...

    id avoid the 2001 as its getting old and not worth the price he is asking... as for first hand experiences i had only one and didnt enjoy it as much as a 2000-2001 or 2003 GTX ... same engine but it felt different... better, more comfortable...

    it really depends HOW and WHERE you ride...

    as for the rxt, its an amazing machine, really stable, fun for 2 and so on...
    power, comfort, its all there...
    IF the ceramic washers were replaced and the deal seems good, id go for it.. if they have NOT been done (explaining the low hours) id avoid it all together... somethings CAN be done, but you wont know how bad it is untill you open the engine and so on...
    not worth the risk at such a price..

    the learning key isnt necessary unless you are going to have children ride on it and want to limit the speed...
    it has 215 HP not cc's it has 1493cc's... (1.5 L inline 3 cylinder engine ,but i think you made a typo there).
    you are going to LOVE the power of the 215...
    its also going to cost "more" on gas when going WOT.. as it guzzles gas like any engine...

    if you are getting either one, are you going to keep the GS? for example your wife? if so, can she stay balanced on it?

    __________________________________________________ ___
    on the side note, the 2001 is also a 2-tec aka 2-stroke engine... its going to cost money buying gas, oil, changing out the sparkplugs more oftenly... PLUS the polution issues... (trust me... you dont want to be riding BEHIND one of these older machines thats @ WOT , it literally SENDS droplets of gas that hit your face..

    considering the price of the rxt you might want to add and get a new machine...
    last year around october my dealer was trying to sell me a 2011 rxt and rxt for 12000 and 13000 respectively, and this was LAST year, now these same unsold models will be EVEN cheaper!
    he also has a demo 215wake and a 2009 rxt IS both at around 10000-10500$... (most likely not including tax but he is giving a huge rebate and accesories like cover, gear, PFD's.

    a trailer is 500-700$ NEW here, although some brands go up to 900$ for one,
    after some years they are "worthless" i mean , i wouldnt pay more than 100-150 for a 5 year old trailer...
    and that is still being "generous"

    have you considered like a NEW GPR or GTI? i mean.. its more $$$$ but why not get something NEW... and new is NEW... no and less problems, more fuel eco, amazing features and such...
    who knows how the old owner treated the skis? maybe he didnt treat them as you would like a machine to be treated...

    -ian

  7. #7
    Sturm215's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lakeland florida
    Posts
    1,893
    +1
    64
    I think they are both over priced.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    how do you like that GS? i have one but 1997...
    i "dont" like it as its only for races and such... slalom... as soon as you stop... it tends to roll over really easily...
    now, depending on your weight of course... if you are havy like me @ nearly 240 pounds, it tends to be tipsy and only for 1 person...
    I actually don't mind it although you are right it is very tipsy, especially when the tank is full!!! As for the weight thing.....I am 6'3 and with in at 290 so you can imagine how tipsy it is for me when riding and why I have trouble getting back on the GS!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    id avoid the 2001 as its getting old and not worth the price he is asking... as for first hand experiences i had only one and didnt enjoy it as much as a 2000-2001 or 2003 GTX ... same engine but it felt different... better, more comfortable...

    it really depends HOW and WHERE you ride...

    as for the rxt, its an amazing machine, really stable, fun for 2 and so on...
    power, comfort, its all there...
    IF the ceramic washers were replaced and the deal seems good, id go for it.. if they have NOT been done (explaining the low hours) id avoid it all together... somethings CAN be done, but you wont know how bad it is untill you open the engine and so on...
    not worth the risk at such a price..

    the learning key isnt necessary unless you are going to have children ride on it and want to limit the speed...
    it has 215 HP not cc's it has 1493cc's... (1.5 L inline 3 cylinder engine ,but i think you made a typo there).
    you are going to LOVE the power of the 215...
    its also going to cost "more" on gas when going WOT.. as it guzzles gas like any engine...

    if you are getting either one, are you going to keep the GS? for example your wife? if so, can she stay balanced on it?
    Thanks for the advice, what you are saying makes perfect sence. We will be keeping the GS for her to use as she actually LOVES it and rarely falls off. She can stay quite balanced on it no matter what she does but she also weighs in at 150lbs.

    As for the learning key, I just thought it may be nice for the wife to limit the power. Our son will eventually be riding it however he just turned 2 today so I suspect I will have two or three purchases before he is ready to ride it. As for the riding, like I said, it will be on a small lake with no weather or waves. Extremely choppy there is a 6 inch wave!! We also do not ride them hard bay any means...basically straight shots of speed, 180 degree turns and jumping small wakes off the boat.



    __________________________________________________ ___
    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    on the side note, the 2001 is also a 2-tec aka 2-stroke engine... its going to cost money buying gas, oil, changing out the sparkplugs more oftenly... PLUS the polution issues... (trust me... you dont want to be riding BEHIND one of these older machines thats @ WOT , it literally SENDS droplets of gas that hit your face..

    considering the price of the rxt you might want to add and get a new machine...
    last year around october my dealer was trying to sell me a 2011 rxt and rxt for 12000 and 13000 respectively, and this was LAST year, now these same unsold models will be EVEN cheaper!
    he also has a demo 215wake and a 2009 rxt IS both at around 10000-10500$... (most likely not including tax but he is giving a huge rebate and accesories like cover, gear, PFD's.?
    I was thinking about going to the dealer to look at what they had as well. While I do want to keep the price down, certainly 10-13 K is well within my reach.

    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    a trailer is 500-700$ NEW here, although some brands go up to 900$ for one,
    after some years they are "worthless" i mean , i wouldnt pay more than 100-150 for a 5 year old trailer...
    and that is still being "generous"?
    Honestly, I was most likely going to sell the trailer as I do not need it. Once it is at the lake it will be staying there. I have a Seadoo/boat launch on my property and use a shop dolly to move my GS around.

    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    have you considered like a NEW GPR or GTI? i mean.. its more $$$$ but why not get something NEW... and new is NEW... no and less problems, more fuel eco, amazing features and such...
    who knows how the old owner treated the skis? maybe he didnt treat them as you would like a machine to be treated...

    -ian
    No I have nto considered one of those but the GS is the only machine I've owned. I guess I just naturally gravitated to Seadoo.

  9. #9
    have you tried looking at BowRidge? They may have a few older models kicking around? Last summer got a good deal in a couple of brand new 2009 Yamahas (fzs,fxsho).

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Battscrew View Post
    have you tried looking at BowRidge? They may have a few older models kicking around? Last summer got a good deal in a couple of brand new 2009 Yamahas (fzs,fxsho).
    I did look there but all they had was a 2005 GTX for 7500 but it did not come with a trailer.

    After a significant amount of research, I bit the bullet and got the RXT. It had 23 hours on it and came with a brand new 2011 easy loader trailer that had 10km on it that the seller purchased specifically for the sale. In the end, I came to the conclusion that every manufacturer and model has it's little annoying quirks......if it's not the supercharger or the engine, its electrical.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need advise on purchasing a 2007 Seadoo RXT
    By Rob1124 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2016, 08:06 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 10:21 PM
  3. Advice on picking up new seadoo's
    By Rocketman9132 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM
  4. Need advice on choosing a new PWC.
    By bschinstock in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
  5. Need advice on purchasing rotating assemblies
    By gpr727 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •