Question Gelcoat Chips... worth repairing? Pics Inside...

What does everyone think, are these 4 chips worth repairing? The previous owner picked them up by beaching the thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1713.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	262300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1714.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	262301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1715.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	262302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1716.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	262303

+1
    where are they located?
    guessing as it was beached, its on the bottom, so at high speeds it will become bigger and bigger and eventually a HUGE chip....
    much easier to do it now while its small than to have to do 1/2 the ski...

olus while you are at it you can also buff out and gelcoat those scratches... its going to look amazing after...

hope i helped.

Thanks. Is patching these pretty simple? I've read a few posts on how to do it, fill, dry sand, then wet with finer and finer grit. Do I need to do anything to prep the fiberglass surface?

+1
    I've been able to repair much larger damage with the gel kits from Spectrum Color. Couldn't even tell there was damage after buffing. I highly recommend you do the repairs as fiberglass will wick water over time and could cause delaminating. The repairs are easy to do and well worth the effort. Instructions are on Spectrum's web site.

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Items.aspx?code=K&key=cat

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/TechnicalInfo.aspx

+1
    Get a west epoxy repair kit. It's on the bottom, so IMO, I would just spoon some epoxy in there and call it a day.

+1
    its pretty easy to do, even i did it with having no experience before hand...
    yes preping the surface is required, i believe,
    degrease, sand it abit... and done...
    and you need much of gelcoat on there either...
    epoxy IS great but the epoxy we people can get isnt as strong as `real` epoxy... plus you would have to either dye the epoxy OR paint over it...

IMHO just gelcoating will do a great job...

oh and, there is a variety of tools you can use...like a metalic spatula...

one member on here insists on the gelcoat tm. gelcoat for the reason that it contains a wax and doesnt need to be covered with film... which is why its abit more expensive...

oh and the place you are going to be doing the repair needs to be WARM or even HOT inside... if not the gelcoat will be drying for days or even weeks...

hope i helped.

+1
    Gelcoat with wax is called flowcoat and its pretty common so for black bottom hull repairs no need for anything special IMO

Drying shouldnt be a problem if you use the right about of hardener.

Let me clarify a bit about the wax comment.

Gel coat does not harden at the surface if the surface is exposed to air. It is "gummy". So you need to protect the gel coat from air. For filling small dings and such, a lot of people use a sheet of saran wrap or similar product to cover the gel. This obviously won't work for larger areas of gel, and it generally sucks anyway. The old way of protecting the surface was to use a compound called Polyvinyl Alcohol, or PVA for short. It is simply sprayed on after applying gel coat, then needs to be washed off before applying more gel, or it won't stick.

The best way is to use a wax additive in the gel coat. The wax floats to the surface. protecting it from air. You need to remove the wax with styrene or acetone before applying the next coat.

If you buy your gel coat from GelCote intl (the company that supplies Sea Doo with their gel coat), not only will it be a good match, it also comes with wax already added if you buy the quart size. (They assume if you buy a quart, you are a professional, and pros always use wax.)

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Let me clarify a bit about the wax comment.

Gel coat does not harden at the surface if the surface is exposed to air. It is "gummy". So you need to protect the gel coat from air. For filling small dings and such, a lot of people use a sheet of saran wrap or similar product to cover the gel. This obviously won't work for larger areas of gel, and it generally sucks anyway. The old way of protecting the surface was to use a compound called Polyvinyl Alcohol, or PVA for short. It is simply sprayed on after applying gel coat, then needs to be washed off before applying more gel, or it won't stick.

The best way is to use a wax additive in the gel coat. The wax floats to the surface. protecting it from air. You need to remove the wax with styrene or acetone before applying the next coat.

If you buy your gel coat from GelCote intl (the company that supplies Sea Doo with their gel coat), not only will it be a good match, it also comes with wax already added if you buy the quart size. (They assume if you buy a quart, you are a professional, and pros always use wax.)
    Thank you for the clarification; that was very helpful.

Thread Information