Painting a Ski with the mats on?

Hi everyone,

I probably won't be painting my Ski for a while but I was just wondering if anyone has painted one with the mats still on? If you just taped over the mats to protect from overspray would it be possible to leave them on to save the hassle of taking them off and then getting aftermarket mats, or would the paint just wash off around the edges of the mat leaving the previous colour?

Thanks everyone

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    wellll, honestly, you COULD tape them and paint, but (IMO) it would just look awful(that's worse than 'terrible'), and very much like Earl Schieb got ahold of your favorite toy while you werent looking - and played a very, VERY, bad joke on you.

Now...I havn't personally taken the mats off of a ski , yet, but i have done a little painting. The solvents you are going to use when you clean the surface for the last time, could very well disolve/soften the adhesive, &/or the mat material, or both.

...and it would take considerable time to properly mask off the mats, too much, if you ask me. If you had time to burn, you could try it, but try an inconspicuous area for mat/adhesive breakdown due to solvent interaction(s).

just my .02

+1
    Wow, you said Earl Schieb!! Baaahaaaawaaaaa...I didnt think anyone would remember that place.....

As far as the mats go, i dont know if you would be able to properly sand and prepare the areas between the mats for the paint to stick..For all the time, I think it would be worth it if you took the mats off and replaced them..

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    It will only look as good as you prep it, tape them off and it will look decent but it'll flake in no time imo

+1
    Shouldnt be that hard to remove the stock mats and even stick them down again afterwards.

I know my 08 GTX mats are starting to lift with just normal use (only 75hours too...)

Hydroturf mats will be a good winter addition i think

+1
    Take the mats off unless your going to paint it with a rattle can. If your going to spend the money on paint and supplies. Suck it up and buy some fresh mats for your purdy ski.

Or go to Earl Scheib.
    Last edited by buickbrian; 01-22-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: forgot link

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    WWWooooooowwwwwwww!! Gotta love YouTube!! I remembered 'em, but never thought I'd see that again.. thanks, now i know I'm old! hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha

+1
    Sand the flats around of the mats first,then use fine line tape around the mat edges,then paper n tape the rest of the mats off. it might come out ok.. Thats only if the mats arent curling up already or lifted up in spots. fix that first if thats the case. See, that's a problem too. if you tape the mats and it comes out mint looking.. thats cool. but...after a season or 2 the mats MAY lift a lil here n there from wear and what do you see under it? the OLD COLOR of the ski.. ugh!.

I would take them off and clean where they were and paint the whole ski and replace them with fresh ones. it would look a lot better.. think about it for a sec.....in the dealership, they take everything off and paint just the hull, then reattach everything back on. thats the real way to do it right. its a one-shot deal, bite the bullet and do it fresh.Your new mats can be color matched to the new hull color too. it will look sweet and all 1 color!.

If your mats look brand new, they can be removed too. thats a good option if your not looking to splurge on the new..that would save ya some bucks. I painted a tigershark that had mats on it and took them off and glad i did. the surface below had some body work issues from water sitting there and bubbled the gelcoat under the mat. I ground it out, and fixed all the bad areas.. quite a few actually but not very deep. just cosmetic stuff.

Ok thanks everyone, if I ever did paint my ski would it be possible to re use the stock mats? Or would they just rip when you try and take them off?

I suppose I could just order the stock mats from a dealer if they did rip.

Thanks everyone

+1
    It can be done with the mats on but it is tedious work if you want it done right.

Thread Information