Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Modifications and Yamaha Manufacturer Warranty

I have the Y.E.S. 4 year extended warranty and the last thing I want to do is jeopardize that warranty by doing modifications. Would changing the intake and ride plate (R&D) void the warranty? Air filter (Riva)? How about a ECU reflash? Certainly internal engine component upgrades would void...Right?

Wonder if there is a way to get written confirmation that specific modifications would be OK and not void the warranty.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Best thing to do is talk to the Dealer that you would have do the warranty work if needed....but thats not always a guarantee that it will be covered, as some times they have a representative (from Yamaha) come check the unit out , depending on the extent of the repairs...intake grate or ride plate more than likely wont void your warranty.....the mod has to have been a part of the reason for the failure to void the warranty.........the reflash will more than likely void your warranty .........like i said best to talk to the Dealer and see where they stand.......

LIVING THE DREAM IN KEY WEST FLORIDA pcorpion's Avatar
    thats a good question last year i bought two 2011 fzr's with the y.e.s extended 4 year warranty plan i too was also concerned with this .so i called the yamaha corporation in california and they told me you are covered from any manufactures defects even with mods as long as the defects where not caused by the after market products . one thing that i did not ask is about changeing your ecu or having it re programed.so i dont know about that but they did say they would cover manufactures defects only.but i have been led to belive that the yamaha assessment represenative is your local yahmaha dealer so unless you have a good relationship with them you are screwd.my yahmaha dealer is 200 miles away and there a bunch of jerkoff's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    I have the Y.E.S. 4 year extended warranty and the last thing I want to do is jeopardize that warranty by doing modifications. Would changing the intake and ride plate (R&D) void the warranty? Air filter (Riva)? How about a ECU reflash? Certainly internal engine component upgrades would void...Right?

Wonder if there is a way to get written confirmation that specific modifications would be OK and not void the warranty.

Hey Vince-
    Grate and plate I would not worrry. Reflashes will make your ski run more efficient. I have not heard anyone hurting anything with a reflash. You will be fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    Would changing the intake and ride plate (R&D) void the warranty? Air filter (Riva)? How about a ECU reflash? Certainly internal engine component upgrades would void...Right?
    Vince, I think your warranty should be fine with simple bolt-on mods like the intake grate and ride plate; those are pretty simple installations. If you're really worried about it you can have your dealer install the parts that way if there was ever a question they will be able stand behind their work and you will have your paperwork to tell Yamaha it was installed correctly. In my experience, some dealers are definitely more "mod friendly" than others.

As I understand it, the reflash is NOT a warranty friendly upgrade; at that point you are making changes to the RPM limit settings, ignition timing, fuel map, internal boost limiter, etc... some guys will buy an extra ECU for this reason. If you have questions send a PM to Jerry and he'll give you the scoop on all this.
    Last edited by YoYamma; 01-23-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Vince, I think your warranty should be fine with simple bolt-on mods like the intake grate and ride plate; those are pretty simple installations. If you're really worried about it you can have your dealer install the parts that way if there was ever a question the will be able stand behind their work and you will have your paperwork to tell Yamaha it was installed correctly. In my experience, some dealers are definitely more "mod friendly" than others.

As I understand it, the reflash is NOT a warranty friendly upgrade; at that point you are making changes to the RPM limit settings, ignition timing, fuel map, internal boost limiter, etc... some guys will buy an extra ECU for this reason. If you have questions send a PM to Jerry and he'll give you the scoop on all this.

Agree with YoYamma, I think with simple bolt on mods you are covered under warranty especially if your Yamaha Dealer installs the mods. However the ECU reflash will definitely void your warranty

+1
    Yamaha sells some Riva performance parts so I don't see why they wouldn't cover them unless they are not installed properly.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If the mod is directly related to the failure , doesnt matter who installs it.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    If the mod is directly related to the failure , doesnt matter who installs it.....
    I agree with that, but if you have a look at the Riva parts that Yamaha sells, you will see that they only sell some very basic parts... ie air intake, ride plate, and intake grate and I don't think any of those could cause a failure by themselves. That's just my interpretation though, I'm sure it varies by dealer/ yamaha rep.

+1
    Yep...thanks guys. I think I'm going to do the bolt ons myself. R&D intake/ride plate, Riva pro filter. Maybe in the future sponsons. ECU is a toughy. Either buy a spare and swap ($1,500 with reflash) it out if it goes in for warranty work or go Motec ($4K with programming). Either is ridiculously expensive but I have got to have the RPMs at some point. Is there a aftermarket override like for the new Sea Doos out there without ECU replacement?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information