I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

87-89-93 Octane???

Ok, as some of u know, this has been the question that ppl never quite get. Some ppl say that our 2 Strokes run better with 87 Octane as it is a simpler to burn fuel. Then there are those that say that 93 Octane is a cleaner fuel that has no lead & that 87 still has small amounts of lead in it that ruin the engine. They state that it is much better for our waverunners. So what's the verdict? I always end up using 89 Octane as my preerred fuel since its smack in the middle of both. What do u guys think?

Octane is a rating of anti-knock or detonation. The higher the rating the less chance of detonation because it basicly has a higher flash point. the lower octane actually burns faster which helps horsepower but at the risk of detonation (where the engine pretty much runs away with itself and starts flashing before its sparked). 93 octane as far as I know isnt any cleaner than 87 its just harder to burn. Unless the compression or timing warrants higher octane the 87 will actually work better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    Octane is a rating of anti-knock or detonation. The higher the rating the less chance of detonation because it basicly has a higher flash point. the lower octane actually burns faster which helps horsepower but at the risk of detonation (where the engine pretty much runs away with itself and starts flashing before its sparked). 93 octane as far as I know isnt any cleaner than 87 its just harder to burn. Unless the compression or timing warrants higher octane the 87 will actually work better for you.
    The most power will be made with the lowest octane that doesn't allow for pinging.

So basically, unless you have more compression or your timing is bumped on your GPR then you do not need higher octane.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    FWIW,

89 is just a blend of 87 and 93. That's why when a gas station runs out of regular, they are also out of mid grade.

And porksword is right on the money.

+1
    For those of us running lots of timing and/or compression, high octane is necessary. Otherwise, save your money and buy the cheap stuff.

+1
    i have wasted alot of money running the higher grade when i really didnt need it. the 87 works better for my 05

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    89 and 91 run the best for me.

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    What I'll do then is this Sunday when I go to test my Jetworks Mod, I will fill her up with 87 Octane. Definately gonna be a first time.

Thread Information