Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

XL 1200 mods, special project

First of all, hello to all. I am new to the site but not new to makeing an engine faster, 2 or 4 stroke. I build a lot of outboards, a lot of banshee and other 4 wheeler engines and I have a street car 88 Mustang the runs 10.70s on radials. My best toy of all is a 1980 Allison 14R race boat with a 90 yamaha on it. With a stock 90 it runs 67mph. With a mod motor I built it has gone 78mph.

My interest now are for more power. Has to be 3 cyl and 2 stroke. I have decided on a 98 Yamaha XL 1200 PWC engine. Yes not as much power as a 1300R but cheaper to find. I will be going from 90hp to 155hp. This is just the start, I have no limits or rules, open space instead of the confines of a ski. So pipes will be one of the first mods, that and Vforce reeds. I will sorce out the porting because for a one off project it is far more economical that chancing ruining a set of jugs with out the knowledge of what really works. I am here to ask advice and gain knowledge about mods to these engines and to find some parts. Thanks to all and I allready love the site. Jason.

LI, NY
    Check out Group K website and read. 98 XL not exactly the best ski to build for speed. But hey that could be a challenge. Welcome to the hulk.

Houston, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
    98 XL not exactly the best ski to build for speed.
    Big +1

Keep in mind I will be using the engine only. It will be inverted and used as a outboard. Run with no cover, so any pipe configuration, carb, ect.... No motor restrictions either.

Ebay is a great place to shop for used/new Gp1200 parts. I have a friend who still might have his used triple pipes which will add 50-75 horses. Plan to pretty much change the entire ignition system/timing, which is what you're probably planning to do anyway. PM me if you want... . Sounds like a cool project!!!

Just curious, are you planning on over 160 compression, raising the exhaust ports, etc. and race gas?

LI, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    Keep in mind I will be using the engine only. It will be inverted and used as a outboard. Run with no cover, so any pipe configuration, carb, ect.... No motor restrictions either.
    Sry missed that engine only. What is it going on? Good luck with project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat 002.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	262593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0353.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	262594This is the boat, a 14' Allison, 1980 model. The pan and hood can be changed/modified to cover the new engine or can be left off, don't really matter. With a 90 that I built at home it has gone 78mph @ 7500rpm. I am not interested in going over 80mph. I am quite sure that the 155hp will far exceed that. That is great, then I can prop to accellerate harder. That is the main/root cause of the project. I will add the pipes, porting, head, reeds, aftermarket ignition, ect.... What you guys tell me to do, That is why I am here. I have found a donar PWC. A 98 yammi XL1200. If anyone needs any other parts including the hull, it will all be sold.

Very Cool! Being a 2-stroke outboard advocate/owner myself, this is an exciting project. I'm hoping other's will chime-in, as there are some very experienced builder's/tuner's here that would be proud to help and see this thing get developed... . Not to be a 'debby downer'...why not just take a typical small displacement outboard, bore it, port it, add compression, (add pipes-might be a little harder to do) and ignition, etc. etc... ? I'm sure you mulled all that over; just curious.

THE ROOM, there is none. My 90 has no room for additional ports. I do have fingers in it but no wheres close to the typical PWC, snowmobile, banshee, dirtbick ect.... This motor was never built with preformance in mind. It was built as a 90hp workhorse. My other option is to use half of a V6merc. It's been done a bit, the baddest one in the country makes 162hp and it's heavy. This thing makes 155hp STOCK. Then the dollar is the limit. I will not stop development of the 90 yammi but this project has to be done. I am on a mission. The best part of it is I was always the one that had to be diff. On the weekends I cruze with about 20, 90 - 120mph boats. All with V6 motors. Yes I am the slowest but I have respect. Quite a few of our gang have new rigs because of me. Our first ride, I was 3rd from the front of the pack. The way I see it I can't loose. If they beat me they are suppose to. But if it's even close they get a rash from everone.

Totally get it! Sounds like you got it covered-turn it up on it's side/fabricate mounts and shaft, etc. etc. As far as the motor itself, in general, sounds like one approach without specific numbers is to take it to someone like Group-K/Arizona or your local tuner and discuss the following: 1.Add triple pipes 2. Add MSD ingnition/Advent to give you the ability to change timing and increase rev. limit. 3. Port and/or turn down cylinders-guessing you should raise the exhaust port for more top-end. 4. Purchase R & D race gas head/+30cc/cut head and domes for more compression and better squish angle. 5. Install carbon fiber reeds for more top-end. 6. Add flame arrestors for more intake flow. 7. Go one-size up on the oem Mikuni SBN carbs for more top-end. Those are just a few motor mod ideas, alot of which are bolt-on's that can be purchased on-line here, or from Riva and R&D performance products.

One challenge will be getting the triple pipe stinger(s) onto the lower unit... . Just trying to help move things along...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information