Changing Oil to Penzoil Synthetic?

I bought a couple of used jet ski's 98 and 99 and both run but one smokes like bitch and I have no clue what kind of oil they were running in them. I assume yamalube but I was thinking of draining the fuel and oil and replacing with fresh. Should I go back with Yamalube or use Penzoil Synthetic? Is it safe to switch oils? I seems like when I have a 2 stroke four wheeler years ago and switched oils I was replacing piston weeks later but could have been crappy oil. Which oil should I use exactly? Thanks

+1
    there are literally 100 threads on 2 stroke oils

lol

do a little searching, but no, it really wont hurt to switch oils on those skis

Anyone have any check valves? After replacing my lines and testing the check valves they seem to be bad. I could use 6 of them for both my ski's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by barkster View Post
    Anyone have any check valves? After replacing my lines and testing the check valves they seem to be bad. I could use 6 of them for both my ski's
    got em

Ok, changed all the lines and check valves and replaced the oil in the tank. I filled up the oil tank and took the spark plugs out and the turned over the engine while opening up the oil pump all the way and no oil is pumping through the lines. I opened the bleed screw and a little oil comes out but I cannot get oil to pump through the lines. This is a 98 1200XL. Any suggestions? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by barkster View Post
    Ok, changed all the lines and check valves and replaced the oil in the tank. I filled up the oil tank and took the spark plugs out and the turned over the engine while opening up the oil pump all the way and no oil is pumping through the lines. I opened the bleed screw and a little oil comes out but I cannot get oil to pump through the lines. This is a 98 1200XL. Any suggestions? Thanks
    I think the rpm of starting the engine is not enough to let you "see" the oil flow, idle speed of about 1100 rpm only make the oil flow a little. You can use a drill to turn the pump after you took it out, or you can run a little premix at idle speed to see the oil flow without remove the pump.

Btw I need the check valves too where you got them?

Yeah it took a whole charge on the battery of my drill to get the oil lines completely full. I bought mine on ebay for like $6 each

Thread Information