Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Been watching a lot of videos and...

I really do not see a lot of safety being used at all. Most of the folks have a pfd, sunglasses , and in some cases gloves.

99% of the PFD's are just standard Type III vests that are the cheap ones. I see the speed-O at 70 and wonder if they will even live if they hit a dead head? Why is it that people have a vehicle capable of hitting speeds of 70+ MPH and skimp? I just do not get it. Just from this forum alone I bought a $140.00 vest, and I am a boater and I have been stuck out there on the Upper Niagara, so I know better. I see guys on ski's near damns, falls, rough water, and in 4-6' waves, and yet I have never seen one of them with a VHF attached?

Personally I think that the laws and regulations are a bit lax on PWC operation, and I would really like to see people being a LOT more safe on their adventures and rides. I wonder how many even know what an MMSI is?

I don't want to hear about "weight" either, or "space needed". My safety bag is small and weighs less than 10 pounds and includes a TON of stuff that anyone with a PWC can afford. Excuses are just that, excuses.

My bag includes:

Flares (West Marine 20 bucks)
    Whistle (extra one, as one is attached to the vest as well $.99 each)
    VHF (Attached to the PFD,Stand Horizon unit, floating, with MMSI)
    GPS (In the pocket of the PFD, or in it's place on the ski)
    Paddle (collapsible, Wally world 20 bucks)
    Flag ($4.00)
    1st Aid Kit (Waterproof. West Marine $19.99)
    Lines (assorted, 12 bucks)
    Air Horn($4.00 from Wally World)
    Anchor with depth appropriate rode (bought online, $18.99)
    Tool Kit (Advance Auto - $6.99)
    Extra Plugs (really have to ask?)
    Waterproof case for Cell
    Waterproof case for Reg, Boating Safety Course Card, etc ($1.99 - West Marine)

Bottom line - a Life is worth a lot more than a jet ski. PLEASE get your gear bag together, and keep it on your ski! Accidents happen when you never expect them to, and I do not want to go to any of your funerals because you were cheap or unprepared for an emergency.

Oh - and BTW - Go ahead and flame me over this post, I welcome it. Stuff is CHEAP, and not ONE item I mentioned is hard to get, and could save you life or your riding partners life.

And here is a picture of the HUGE kit:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120123_200101.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	262465  
    Last edited by Devildog9999; 01-25-2012 at 09:19 PM.

+1
    Oh - and BTW - Go ahead and flame me over this post, I welcome it. Stuff is CHEAP, and not ONE item I mentioned is hard to get, and could save you life or your riding partners life.
    Im with you Brother... your tellin Noah about a flood

I see all these guys with these 85+++ mph skis with no helmet and neck brace on... I guess because it either doesnt look cool or its uncomfortable... well I have broken my neck before and had to have surgery... and it for sure wasnt cool or fun.

And, nobody ever thinks about checking their fire extinguisher or about making it more accessible either...

Glad to see someone agree with me before the fire gets started!

+1
    Glad to see this thread. It has reminded me I need to change the mount for my fire extinguisher on my RXPX. I don't think taking the bucket out to get to it is real handy in an emergency. Aside from the vhf and horn I tote the rest of the stuff unless I am just making speed runs to test mods. Then there are folks around spotting.

+1
    I bring a bottle of water, some food(granola type), extra lanyard,air horn up front,lines, extinguisher of course, whistle on vest,gps,vhf marine water proof radio, first aid kit, cell phone in water proof bag, spark plugs, wrench for the plugs, small screwdrivers of both type, tape, a lil plumbers putty for a leak like a lost drain plug or crack to fill quick.flares and I'm planning on getting a gath helmut and force 6 instructors vest. I have a west marine neoprene type 3 now and i like it but i need more buoyancy . I need to get a flag and make a paddle mount for the paddle I have. btw,, they are useless if only 3 feet long.

The paddle I got from wally world is pretty sturdy, and is an extendable one with a total length of 4' 3". Not that it will do any good if I break down in the Upper Niagara... I will be in very small pieces when they find me in the Lower Niagara after going over the Falls. (J/K - that is what the PFD and the VHF are for). I am a diabetic, so I always keep some chow and water with me as well, but I didn't think to include it in my list. As far as a fire extinguisher goes - I will tell you this: If my Sea-Doo goes up in flames, I am getting OFF OF IT and swimming to shore or calling for help. No machine is worth my life, and where it is stored, I will have literally no chance to get to it unless it is smoke, or a very small fire (not likely). That is what the Mustang vest and VHF are for.

+1
    The fire extinguisher on your PWC is not for your fire but your buddy s.

+1
    I agree with this and I have most of the stuff in my skis, except paddle and VHS. Always though about getting a VHS as I do ride off shore sometimes. But here's the thing, NEVER ride alone.

Also, although that bag is small, something like that would never fit in a GPR....

+1
    Some people might want to consider dye packs also. They leave a green film on the water so you are visible. Could also possibly stop you from being run over if you are injured and can't swim back to your ski.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50498

+1
    I rarely do any distance runs solo ( in excess of 100 miles) but when I do I always bring a headlight and a few colored glow sticks. I'd hate to be stuck at night and not be lit up. Additionally, everyone should always have the "free" safety mod: file a float plan. My family / friends always know where I'm launching from, the area i plan on riding to or in, and what time I expect to return.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information