downunder123
    +1

Exhaust on Genesis I

Hi

Just noticed that there is a small hole on the exhaust manifold pipe (right in the middle at the round back, facing the muffler waterbox) and some exhaust is escaping through it. Didn't notice anything until recently when I got stuck in the sea weed and engine got overheated. Right away I turned the engine off and when lifted the seat (while on the water) there was smoke inside the engine compartment.
    Latter the same day, the clamp on the main cooling hose came off and saltwater half filled the engine compartment. This time I noticed it early ( got bitten before) and managed to get to shore without stoping the enginge. The bilge did its job and I fixed the problem on the spot.The engine started like nothing happen but I wasnt sure if any salt water was still traped inside the engine . I ran the engine for another half an hour (at idle) before I got out of water for the day .When I got home I fogged the engine (just in case) and then noticed that only when I accelerate some smoke is coming out from the manifold pipe (no problem with water hose anymore)....... The engine works fine on dry, yet to take it for a ride and make sure all OK.
    Now, not sure if those two events had anything in common or related but the questions are:
    1: is the smoke supposed to be escaping through the manifold pipe?
    2: is it likely that engine is damaged given that it didn't die on me and I made it running immediately after the accident?

Thank you very much.

+1
    sounds as if your engine will be fine.

make sure everything in the hull is dry. store it with the seat off. open up anything that would have water in it, and make sure it is dry.

on your exh pipe, it may have just corroded through, due to age, ect, or you may have a blown pipe coupler. you will need to disassemble, and inspect. your machine will not run properly with an exhaust leak in the engine compartment. ( not to mention, you will also get water in)

i have parts here, if you need. we ship down under all the time.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Like John said, ski should be good, Check inside the electrical box and dry it of needed. Poke at the hole,if it's corroded,it my get bigger, It my be possible to have it welded up if not to bad.

downunder123
    +1
    I did open el.box and left open everything possible to dry out.I gave it a good wash with fresh water and heaps of Inox.....hope it should be ok.
    I got a little angle mirror and had a closer look at that hole on the exhaust. It is definitely corrosion. The hole is small but no doubt will get bigger. What kind of material the pipe is made of? Looks to me like some kind of alloy. Can it be welded at all? Thanks John, will send you PM for the part (got the parts from you before).The book says that even the smallest hole in the exhaust will impact the performance but I was still able to do 55+mph (?), can't wait to see how fast will go when I fix it.
    Cheers

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The pipe is Alumium, If it's eating away from the inside, Then a used freshwater pipe would be best, All of Johns parts are from fresh water ski's as he is 1100 mile to the nearest saltwater....LOL

downunder123
    +1
    Yeah, I think would be better to get a new pipe then welding the old one...............cheers.

Thread Information