Rebuilt Supercharger

Guys,
    I rebuilt my supercharger for the first time. I torqued everything to spec, made sure everything was facing the proper way, used a bench press not a hammer, etc. My question is after uninstalled the supercharger and put it on the support plate vice, I could spin the impeller by hand and it would spin for a while. After the rebuild it seems kind of snug, not tight but not loose either. It will only spin about 1/4 turn. Is this due to components that are not broken in yet?

+1
    Hmmm this sounds strange. The shaft should spin freely as it did before. Is the front housing touching the impeller? I'd be very cautious with this.

I haven't even put the front half on yet....
    I dont know if it makes a difference, but I did use McMaster spring washers and a Viton seal...

+1
    Did the shaft spin freely before installing the impeller? The mcmaster washers will make no difference, they put tension on the clutches, nothing to do with the rotation of the shaft.

+1
    I'm pretty sure it will be fine.. when I had my viton seal installed it didn't spin as freely.. but will loosen up a bit once it heats up and cools down a few.. I'm sure others will help confirm this. as long as nothing scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Did the shaft spin freely before installing the impeller? The mcmaster washers will make no difference, they put tension on the clutches, nothing to do with the rotation of the shaft.
    Yes shaft did spin freely before impeller install. I torqued impeller down to 22-ft.lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Sturm215 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it will be fine.. when I had my viton seal installed it didn't spin as freely.. but will loosen up a bit once it heats up and cools down a few.. I'm sure others will help confirm this. as long as nothing scrubs.
    Nothing is rubbing at all, like I said it's just not as free spining as it was before rebuild. I think you are correct about the Viton seal.

+1
    Okay, sounds like maybe the backside of the impeller is just touching on the viton seal causing the drag? I have no experience with the viton seal, but seems as though this is normal according to sturm!

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it!

Thread Information