Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

SL650 to SL750 motor swap problem?

Hi, I'm about halfway through putting a 1995 SL750 motor into my 1992 SL650. I was hooking up the cooling system, and have hit a snag. The lower end of the SL650 has 2 connections for 1" water line. The lower end of the SL750 doesn't.

What should I do? I can see a couple of options:

1. drill out the places for the water lines in the new motor, and connect the nipples there, and hook up the hoses like on the 650.
    2. Swap the case bottoms so that the 650 case lower is on my new motor.
    3. Eliminate the hoses. Why would the 650 need cooling in the lower block, and the 750 not need it?

Please help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Hi, I'm about halfway through putting a 1995 SL750 motor into my 1992 SL650. I was hooking up the cooling system, and have hit a snag. The lower end of the SL650 has 2 connections for 1" water line. The lower end of the SL750 doesn't.

What should I do? I can see a couple of options:

1. drill out the places for the water lines in the new motor, and connect the nipples there, and hook up the hoses like on the 650.
    2. Swap the case bottoms so that the 650 case lower is on my new motor.
    3. Eliminate the hoses. Why would the 650 need cooling in the lower block, and the 750 not need it? This is you best option. And use the water routing from a 1994 or later 750. The lower hoses were for flushing and not for cooling.

Please help!

+1
    I'm looking at the diagrams in my Clymers for my current cooling system, and the '94 and up cooling, and I don't see how I can route mine that way. My exhaust manifold has 3 connections, the 94 and up uses one inlet pipe.

I'm a little lost here!

I'm looking at the diagrams in my Clymers for my current cooling system, and the '94 and up cooling, and I don't see how I can route mine that way. My exhaust manifold has 3 connections, the 94 and up uses one inlet pipe.

I'm a little lost here!
    Good luck. I'm kinda glad you're asking these questions because I'm doing a 650 to 780 conversion myself and anticipated issues doing my cooling system.

Have you looked in the tech section yet?

+1
    No, but I did talk to Al on the phone, he made it pretty clear. I need to reverse direction of the water, as mine is one of the earliest skis. The water comes from the pump, into the large inlet on the pipe expansion chamber, from there it goes through the jugs and the heads, and out the top rail. A "T" takes most of the water to the discharge out the stern, and a small line runs into the expansion chamber stinger.

The popoff or thermostat goes on the large discharge line. I don't have a thermostat housing, Al suggested I get one.

Al, I only have one question: My exhaust header has 3 cooling lines connecting to it, what do I do with them? In the 1993 picture, they have nothing connected there. Do I just leave them open?

I almost went with the 780, but Zig already sold that motor! Glad I didn't, this is enough of a challenge!

I almost went with the 780, but Zig already sold that motor! Glad I didn't, this is enough of a challenge!
    Yeah that was me sorry.

+1
    Does your 1992 exhaust manifold have water passages that go thru the gasket into the cylinders? A pic would be handy.

This is what I found at Partsland. Don't know if it clear enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhaust Mani.gif 
Views:	77 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	14023  

Use the 92 pipe! it's a dry pipe you want to use it anyway ! your cooling bar on top of the motor goes to the exhaust flang on the hull! the input from the jet pump inlet goes to the 92 pipe down by the water box but still on the pipe itself! Z

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information